RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
CareFree Electric Awning / Front support not all the way in

I had my manual CareFree awning replaced with an electric Care Free awning when the manual one was ripped off while traveling down the road.

I really like the electric awning but have noticed two things.

One is that it seems to roll in and out jerky, does not roll in/out smoothly.

The roller itself seems to rotate smoothly it is the supports that seem to hold up the deployment of the awning. I did spray the tracks with silicone but that seemed to make no difference.

Today I noticed that the front support does not seem fully closed.

Here is the rear one.

Here is the front one

and here is a close up of the top, it looks like the "hook" is stopping the awning from being drawn all the way in??

Can anyone shed an light on this or should I e-mail CareFree?

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2014, 07:25 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
A couple of suggestions. Watch the assemblies on the arms that the roller attaches to. Do they look like they are twisting as the roller rotates? There are end caps on the roller that is easy to install without seating up against the end of the roller on all edges. As the roller rotates it will cause the motor assemblies to twist.

When you retract the awning the support arm the bottom of the trim on the support arm moves into contact with the support pieces on the motorhome. If the bottom piece does not engage properly, the upper arm may end up in the position shown.

The alignment of the awning in relation to where it is attached on the motorhome and on the roller is important. If the awning is not properly aligned it will pull the support arms to the front or back and cause them to bind.

In my experience the awning does not deploy in an entirely linear fashion. It will hesitate as it deploys or retracts. I could not tell from your post if this is your concern or if you are experiencing one of the above issues. Good luck.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:27 PM   #3
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfmorgan View Post
A couple of suggestions. Watch the assemblies on the arms that the roller attaches to. Do they look like they are twisting as the roller rotates? There are end caps on the roller that is easy to install without seating up against the end of the roller on all edges. As the roller rotates it will cause the motor assemblies to twist.

When you retract the awning the support arm the bottom of the trim on the support arm moves into contact with the support pieces on the motorhome. If the bottom piece does not engage properly, the upper arm may end up in the position shown.

The alignment of the awning in relation to where it is attached on the motorhome and on the roller is important. If the awning is not properly aligned it will pull the support arms to the front or back and cause them to bind.

In my experience the awning does not deploy in an entirely linear fashion. It will hesitate as it deploys or retracts. I could not tell from your post if this is your concern or if you are experiencing one of the above issues. Good luck.
The hesitation is a good description of what happens as it goes in and out.

The supports do not appear to be binding.

It looks to me like the "hook" is hitting the cover and not allowing the awning to come all the way in.

I whish I had an installation manual.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:52 PM   #4

The hook on the awning roller is to keep the awning from unrolling when driving. Looks like the anti sail hook is to far in. I would try to move the hook outwards on the tube end. I installed the same awning on my coach a few years ago and that sail hook is fuuun to adjust, but when right I think the awning will close just fine. Mine also is hesitating while deploying and retracting. Carefree says this is due to the geomitry of the gas strut mounting in the arms. Mine helped by setting the adjustments to lower the tube to the lowest detent.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:27 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
This link will take you to the technical documentation section of the Carefree of Colorado's website: Carefree of Colorado Product Technical Documentation
Old 10-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfmorgan View Post
This link will take you to the technical documentation section of the Carefree of Colorado's website: Carefree of Colorado Product Technical Documentation
Thank you, if the weather clears (raining) I will work on this today. I got these from the link you provided.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
To see the resolution.

It is not hard job.

See this post over on my build thread for the process.

Tags
awning