Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2006, 03:18 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had this problem since the coach was new. The AC occasionaly goes into fault mode. The green light on the bottom of the unit blinks. The book troubleshooting section says to see your svc center if this happens.
I took it in after a very hot weekend with no AC in the brand new MH. When I asked them what they did to fix it they said they just disconnected all power to it and repowered it and it reset itself. In other words, they did'nt fix anything.
Since then it has did this many times, and I have to turn off the breaker to the AC or disconnect shore power or generator and hit the battery disconnect , then turn it all back on again. Then it works fine til next time but still a pain in the ****.
Im nt positive but it I think it only does this if I have the thermostat set high enough that the compressor is suppose to shut down. It has run all day before when it is so hot out that the AC compressor never shuts down. However if I'm just trying to keep it comfortable and put the fan speed on 'auto' so it shuts off sometimes, that's when it freeks out and goes into fault mode.
The warranty has ran out now but the dealer obviously doesnt know how to fix it any way.
The bedroom AC has never did this, but it seems the lving area AC can keep the whole coach cool but the bedroom AC does'nt get enough cold air to the living area to keep it cool. They are both 13500 BTU's
Now that many more people must have the Carrier AC, has anyone else had this problem (green light flashing, fault mode)?? and did you find out what the problem is or was?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2006, 03:18 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had this problem since the coach was new. The AC occasionaly goes into fault mode. The green light on the bottom of the unit blinks. The book troubleshooting section says to see your svc center if this happens.
I took it in after a very hot weekend with no AC in the brand new MH. When I asked them what they did to fix it they said they just disconnected all power to it and repowered it and it reset itself. In other words, they did'nt fix anything.
Since then it has did this many times, and I have to turn off the breaker to the AC or disconnect shore power or generator and hit the battery disconnect , then turn it all back on again. Then it works fine til next time but still a pain in the ****.
Im nt positive but it I think it only does this if I have the thermostat set high enough that the compressor is suppose to shut down. It has run all day before when it is so hot out that the AC compressor never shuts down. However if I'm just trying to keep it comfortable and put the fan speed on 'auto' so it shuts off sometimes, that's when it freeks out and goes into fault mode.
The warranty has ran out now but the dealer obviously doesnt know how to fix it any way.
The bedroom AC has never did this, but it seems the lving area AC can keep the whole coach cool but the bedroom AC does'nt get enough cold air to the living area to keep it cool. They are both 13500 BTU's
Now that many more people must have the Carrier AC, has anyone else had this problem (green light flashing, fault mode)?? and did you find out what the problem is or was?
Denver, Colorado
Old 07-10-2006, 12:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The fault code can be of any number of improper functions. Have you tried leaving the fan in the on position? Try puttin the fan in "ON", have the thermostat set at a higher than actual room temperature and turn on air conditioner and set fan to auto. What happened?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Wizard, I turned the AC on (68 degrees)and had the fan speed on 'Hi', turned fan speed to 'auto'. All worked normal. I turned thermostat up to 90 and within a min. fan shifted to 'low' speed and another min. it turned off. Everything seemed like it was working the way it is supposed to until I turned the thermostat back down to 63 degrees and in about 5 minutes the AC did'nt start back up again, however I did'nt get the fault light.
I then turned the fan speed to Hi and it came on and in a min or so I heard the compressor turn on. Still no fault light. It seems the 'auto' position is not working right. However after noticing this , I decided to try the rear AC the exact same way. (It has never given me the fault light, blinking) It did the exact same thing after I turned the thermostat up, it turned off, but after I turned the thermostat back to 63 it still didnt start back up within 5 minutes.
I just went out and did this after reading your suggestion, and perhaps it might would have came back on if I gave it more time but 5 minutes seems like it should have had enough time to turn on again.
Since both my AC's do this, from your experience Carriers, is this just the "nature of the beast?"
The fault light seems like it has come on when the AC reaches it's set temperature but I'm only about 90% sure of that. Once the green light starts blinking it will NOT work again unless I disconnect all power, 12 volt and 120 volt.
I'm a little bit scared to mess with it too much to try to make it go into fault mode for fear it might not 'come back'.
It would have been nice if the dealer would have called carrier to see what they should do before they unplugged it, there fore resetting it. After they did and plugged it back in it worked and they just had the "shrug their shoulders" attitude and said it's working now so they can't tell what's wrong with it.
Have you seen many Carrier ACs with the fault light on or other problems.
Denver, Colorado
Old 07-10-2006, 11:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Max, I cannot say that I have seen enough Carriers to make a good judgement call on the issue. Have you yourself called Carrier about the issue? I might recommend it and that way at least you have it documented that it has been a problem if you ever need it in the future.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for trying to help RV Wizard. I'll have to try to get thru to Carrier. At least I'm glad it cools but when I really need it I don't like to raise the thermostat where the compressor cuts off,
Denver, Colorado
Old 07-12-2006, 06:09 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Max,
You may have to wait up to 10 minutes as if I remember correctly that is the delay put in so the pressure can equalize. It's different than the Duo-therm's and others. I have run into this before. Try this, set a temp, let the a/c come on and cool the room, let it shut itself off, then just wait till the temp raises again and it's calling for cooling. See if the a/c unit restarts itself correctly, it should. Forcing it on and off could be part of the problem. They are different. Hated them to repair and trouble shoot. Good luck and like Mike said, if it's still giving you fits, you call the company yourself. Also contact Monaco directly with your problem.
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote