Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #1

Carrier Air V heat pump replacement

Ok so we've been very lucky in that our Carrier Air heat pump has lasted this long. It's still working but making a horrible noise. We're pretty sure it's vibration in the condenser.
Ok so SEVERAL issues in replacement:
We've seen that you can buy an adapter kit for the carrier to coleman AC. We may do this but have found comparable complete systems for what it would cost to do the adapter kit with just replacing the top unit. Another reason that we'd rather replace the whole thing is the fact that the remote that controls our carrier (and I assume would be responsible for controlling the mach one too) is no longer made. There is only ONE on e bay (that works our heat pump as well) right now and it's going for $140 with several bids. What happens if we do the swap out with the top unit and keep our control board and heaven forbid loose our remote or it stops working (you should see how old and gross the remote is!)
So obviously we have no wall controlled thermostat and all the units I've found require that for ducted systems (I am seriously cursing Carrier AND carriage right now) So does anyone have any way around this?? I would assume trying to install a wall thermostat would be very costly.
Ok yet another question. When we replace our air will the new unit be able to control the furnace like our current one does as well? All of these are probably silly questions and there are cut and dry answers to it. I just hope someone can give them to me

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #2

We do these all the time.
You can go either Dometic or Coleman, but you do have to run a t-stat wire and mount a wall t-stat. It can be expensive, or it can be easy. Last one I did took just under an hour to run, mount, and wire the t-stat.
And yes, the furnace will be able to be run through the wall t-stat.

What model do you have? We've done 3 Carriages already this year.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #3

No idea whatsoever. Am adding a photo of the front although that probably doesn't help you. Will look tomorrow for model number where would it be.located? Have researched online and have seen that honeywell has a remote controlled thermostat that requires 24 volts so unsure whether that would work or not. I have also seen that sometimes the wires to add the thermostat are by where the remote was mounted on the wall. Where it was mounted is on the wall (almost in a straight line down) that the carbon monoxide and lp detector are. So I'm wondering if that could be where the wires are hiding. If any of this sounds less than knowledgeable its because my husband understands all the jargon used, I just repeat it to him and its instant understanding!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130612_220347.png
Views:	28
Size:	452.0 KB
ID:	40644
Old 06-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #4

Sorry, I shoulda said what model Carriage do you have?
Because all three we've done had the t-stat up by the steps to the bedroom, but two had the rounded wall to your right as you enter, and the t-stat had to go there. Takes more time, but not hard.
And you have no wires for a t-stat in the wall, they have to be added.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #5

Oh sorry! we have a carriage carrilite 36KS3. I would assume it would be the wall by the steps you mentioned, since we don't have the rounded wall! I understand having to run the wires, but if we replace just the top unit and not the inside controls we'll still be able to use the remote correct? Does the coleman adaptors (or dometic) work with any of their heat pump models? Not that we use it a whole lot, just nice knowing its there! Hopefully all of this becomes a mute point since it seems once the air conditioner runs for a little while and the compressor kicks off, once it cycles back on it sounds normal. Very strange and I'm sure it won't last long but fingers crossed
Old 06-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #6

Yes, you can add a Coleman upper unit, use the Coleman to Carrier adapter, and still use your remote and Carrier ceiling assymbly . . . until it dies too.

You might have bad air flow causing it to freeze up.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #7

We are looking for the heat strip for our carrier air v. its model 68rv0010ba. Do you know of where to get one or what we need to do to get some heat? Thanks
Old 10-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Remember, if you change out the roof top unit and use the adapter kit to use the Carrier remote T'stat, if it goes out or the control board dies, you will have to run a wire and add a T'stat since you cannot get the carrier parts.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement