Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 03:53 PM   #1

Carrier V Replacement

Looking for a 15000 BTU AC to replace my Carrier unit. Would like to buy one with a fan that's not too noisy inside or out. Ducted and remote controlled.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 11:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There's two ways to do this...modify one you like.

Or

Get one that is made for that swap like the Advent:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Air-Cond.../ACCAR150.html

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
There's two ways to do this...modify one you like.

Or

Get one that is made for that swap like the Advent:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Air-Cond.../ACCAR150.html

Best luck
I've contacted Etrailer about the Advent AC and they responded that a more appropriate replacement would be an Atwood AC unit # AT15033-22. Are you familiar with the Atwood AC? I believe I have an Atwood gas heater, but I have never had an Atwood AC. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Atwood and Dometic are the two biggest names in RV systems like this (HVAC and Plumbing). Bigger companies are typically better, having become bigger by success.

So, I would pick the Atwood over the Advent...as long as is made to be the "replacement." This is important because of the wiring harness and ducts. It is much better to have "plug and play" fitment.

And, if like our Damon, the furnace is controlled by the AirCon remote and sensors. Plug and play should support the entire system without needing to install a new thermostat for the Furnace. I would be sure to ask about this piece of the fitment for the Atwood.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 02-20-2019, 09:21 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looking at e-trailer's site...appears that Atwood's electronics match the furnace:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Air-Cond...T15028-22.html
But the FAQ says: "...the # AT15028-22 can operate the furnace, but not with a remote control. A thermostat will have to be wired in for the A/C, and it will also control the furnace."

And it has a newer function on the panel that the Carrrier never had - Direct output dump.
Buy moving the slides on the panel, you can select to send the output to the ducts -or- to the direct output dump on the panel. This is a helpful function when you first enter and start the RV's aircon. It cools from the center of the room (where you are typically standing). A simple idea that really works.

Another improvement I see here over our Carrier V is that the Atwood AT15028-22 is a heat pump (runs the aircon in reverse to produce heat in temps down to about 40). That means free heat (uses no propane) while on campground power.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 02-21-2019, 07:24 AM   #6

Your information and recommendations are well appreciated! This AC will replace the rear of our Damon MH. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, there were no furnace control wires roughed to the rear AC when it was constructed (only to the front AC).

The front Carrier unit went out on us summer before last in the middle of August while we were in Arkansas. I paid a local repair shop to install a Coleman Mach. The old Carrier lower/inside was re-used. I don't like the Coleman as much as I did the Carrier because of it being noisy - especially outside on HIGH speed. Also, the following winter I found that the furnace wasn't working (after the replacement). I guess the Carrier control board was going bad? Anyway, I jury-rigged a couple of control wires from the furnace leads that were inside the AC unit to a mechanical thermostat and it's working now. Although, the furnace can be contrary sometimes about coming back on when it should - it was doing this before the Carrier went out.

Thanks, John
Old 02-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our front Carrier V controls the furnace too. I have always thought a separate furnace thermostat would be better, so you have addressed that.

No surprise on the noise level of the Coleman. The Coleman Mach is known for being a bit noisy. Maybe you would want to swap the Coleman to the rear - and put the new unit in the front?
Of course, then the noise is moved closer to the bedroom

Having the cold air "dump" function in the front aircon would be a big perk.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 02-22-2019, 05:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Our front Carrier V controls the furnace too. I have always thought a separate furnace thermostat would be better, so you have addressed that.

No surprise on the noise level of the Coleman. The Coleman Mach is known for being a bit noisy. Maybe you would want to swap the Coleman to the rear - and put the new unit in the front?
Of course, then the noise is moved closer to the bedroom

Having the cold air "dump" function in the front aircon would be a big perk.

Best luck

Good thought on swapping the two, my wife sleeps better with some 'white' noise.

Another subject, but we're also considering removing the sofabed and putting two recliners in its place. So, there's might be a lot going on soon! I just need to find two young, strong backs who can help me get the ACs swapped out. Thanks.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement