Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2016, 11:35 AM   #1

Carrying extra LPG tank

My rig is a Lexington B+ . For a long stay I have been carrying a extra 30 Lb. LP tank. I was towing a pickup but have since have gone to a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I'm thinking of carrying the extra 20 or 30 lb. on a cargo carrier mounted on the receiver hitch of Jeep. What is the laws on this. Better to be out there, then inside the Jeep.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 11:41 AM   #2

I've carried a 20lb, BBQ propane bottle ( properly secured ) inside my van for 5 years, no issues .

JMHO: Better there than in the impact zone , on the hitch.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:20 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carrying extra LPG tank

Don't know the law, if any. I carry a 20 Lb bbq tank. Used for the grill, and in winter as an emergency temp backup for the 30 gal built in.
My tank rides in the toad when we travel. One of those plastic milk crates is the perfect size to be a stabilizer/holder for a 20 gal tank. A real milk crate, not the flimsy knock-offs sold at Office Depot et al. The copies often come in different sizes.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:37 AM   #4

Here's a link to regulations about transporting propane tanks:

https://www.americanfarriers.com/art...ation-of-fuels

It's aimed toward farriers (people who put horseshoes on horses), but it definitely has some information good for everyone. Basically, it says that (in the U.S.) you can transport up to four 20lb or three 30lb tanks in an enclosed vehicle, but they have to be secured so that they don't tip over or roll around. I put mine in a milk crate - 20lb tanks fit perfect and it keeps them from tipping over. In the back of an open pickup, you are allowed more.

You are also considered transporting hazardous material (and you are anyway once you have propane tanks on your rig), so you have to pay attention when going over bridges or through tunnels - you might not be allowed to do so, or may be limited to how many tanks you can have.

Personally, if I were transporting a tank inside a towed vehicle, I would crack the windows, just in case it leaks.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I've carried a 20lb, BBQ propane bottle ( properly secured ) inside my van for 5 years, no issues .
JMHO: Better there than in the impact zone , on the hitch.
I've carried a 20lb propane bottle in the trunk of my toad for 14 years, (120k miles).

However transporting propane bottles can be dangerous!

See the news report, and videos and pics here: UPDATE: No one hurt in U-Haul Rib Mountain explosion

BTW I heard that explosion and I was 2 miles away.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
I've carried a 20lb propane bottle in the trunk of my toad for 14 years, (120k miles).
However transporting propane bottles can be dangerous!
Mel
'96 Safari

There are some areas where the propane supplier ( fill station ) can refuse to fill the bottle , if they feel it is being transported in an unsafe manor.

Tags
tank