Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #1

Chaparral 30RLS Fridge Outet

OK ... sorry I don't have a picture of this but this is the problem as ......

Kitchen slide out has fridge bottom (access see pic #1) is wide open as expected so should allow large amounts of airflow.

Unfortunately when I look at the top / exhaust (ie: remove cover) the opening is about 1/2 at the bottom ----- 1/2 (maybe JUST less than 1/2) covered with what looks like 3/4" plywood.

Under warranty I've had the crazy loud exhaust fan replaced .. it's has helped somewhat ... but the exhaust fan runs WAY more then I can ever remember any other fridge fan running.

ME-THINKS that this is:

1. stupid engineering
2 bad quality control and he entire area of the upper fridge exhaust should be OPEN / free from obstruction.

Has anyone cut the 3/4 plywood away from the opening?

BTW ... I am aware of the work around for additional exhaust fans - but as things stand now =- there is very little room for them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170704_170454.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	186090  
CF-104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2017, 11:41 PM   #2

Absorption fridges require very tight clearances to control draft (airflow) up thru absorber tubes (large slanted tubes) and then across condenser fins (at top) before exiting.

RV Mfgs have a bad habit of NOT following Fridge Mfgs Installation Instructions
Side walls, top and bottom of fridge should have ZERO Inches (0") of clearnace and back space should be no larger then 1" of clearance

IF fridge is installed with large clearance on backside then 'Baffles' should be used to direct draft.
Dead air spaces will cause airflow to stagnate ---build up hot spot.
And when fridge is installed in a slideout 'fans', baffles are most certainly needed.

Sounds like that 'plywood' is an attempt to clse off dead air space at top of fridge AND act as a baffle to direct airflow across condenser fins then exit via top side wall vent cover

Not sure which model you have....appears that it is a Dometic due to condensation drip hose sticking thru lower vent cover---Dometic does that. Norcold doesn't.
Anyway here is an example of Installation Instructions for Dometic Models---may have yours.
http://www.dyersonline.com/downloadf...tfile_id/2823/

And this is a generic fridge ventilation in a slideout with deflector/baffles
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:10 AM   #3

Thank you for the reply..... and picture.I've done a terrible job of editing / to demonstrate (with ugly RED line) where my plywood overlap is, as my explanation did not do a very good job.Does this still look right.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #4

The plywood was an 'attempt' to :
1) tighten up the clearance on backside of fridge
2) direct airflow to upper vent

Plywood
1) does make backside clearance less which is a good thing'''airflow goes more across condenser fins
2) BLOCKS lower portion of upper vent openings which is NOT a good thing......want ALL the airflow OUT top side vent as you can get.
3) Fans are running to more airflow....improve the draft BUT with plywood blocking lower openings in upper vent the airflow is obstructed therefore the condenser fins do not cool down \ the more heat transferred by condenser fins the more hot ammonia vapor is 'condensed' into cold liquid ammonia which then flashes into COLD ammonia Vapor when it mixes with the hydrogen gas----more means more cooling effect
**Typically fans are t-stat controlled by snap disc on fin....close at 135*F FIN temp starting fan(s) and open at 110*F FIN temp stopping fan(s)

I would leave plywood but cut off top portion even with bottom of upper vent frame so that ALL of the upper vent cover louvers are not blocked anymore.

Also........is area ABOVE condenser fins closed/sealed off so that no air is trapped..dead air space??
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #5

thanks

Tags
fridge