RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2019, 10:41 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Charging question

I know that it has been asked and answered in here somewhere before but I can't find it. What is the procedure to verify that my house batteries are not being charged by the chassis system?
4 new 220ah 6 volt batteries, 3 100w solar panels, 3000w inverter, 7500KW genset.

New batteries installed on Monday, not connected to shore power. 100 miles trip on Tuesday to the RV shop to have a bit of work done. Tuesday night batteries discharged far enough that the propane furnace would not fire. On the trip we had the inverter on and the fridge set to auto. I'm sure that is what drained the batts but I just need to verify for sure.

Thanks!

lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2019, 11:19 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check the battery voltage without charging active. Then activate charging. The battery voltage will noticably increase. Typically about 1 volt or so. No change = not charging.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:53 AM   #3

New batteries doesnt mean that they are fully charged to start with.
What do you have connected to the inverter? Just having an inverter "on" with no load should not drain a battery system. The fridge when on "auto" with no A/C input should be on propane. Again, not a load source that should cause problems. You solar system should have gone a long way to putting some juice into the batteries, but you need sun. Propane heaters are the biggest load you have and if its cold and running all the time it will kill a battery system. Since you have a new battery installation, may I suggest that you check for any wires that might have been missed (not reconnected) during the new install. A meter is your best bet to see the voltage of your system. Good luck
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:59 AM   #4

If you fridge is plugged into an inverter powered outlet ( some have 2 outlets back there ), that will drain your batteries quick.

Inverters can draw up to 4.5 amps, just being on. That's over 100 AHs.

While the fridge is on auto, and there is no shore power, check and see if the GAS light is on. If not, its still running on 120 volts.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimer View Post
New batteries doesnt mean that they are fully charged to start with.
What do you have connected to the inverter? Just having an inverter "on" with no load should not drain a battery system. The fridge when on "auto" with no A/C input should be on propane. Again, not a load source that should cause problems. You solar system should have gone a long way to putting some juice into the batteries, but you need sun. Propane heaters are the biggest load you have and if its cold and running all the time it will kill a battery system. Since you have a new battery installation, may I suggest that you check for any wires that might have been missed (not reconnected) during the new install. A meter is your best bet to see the voltage of your system. Good luck
X2 - I chased why my chassis bank was not charging for a while and found that whoever wired the replaced batteries had landed the "extra red cable" somewhere - "lets land it on the house bank" when it should have been attached to the chassis bank. The extra cable other end was attached to the big boy relay for charging, so no charging was being controlled by the BIRD. Once I found that, both banks started charging.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:00 PM   #6
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Voltmeter on coach batteries, start engine. If no change, no charge. Put voltmeter on chassis batteries and you should see around 14 volts if charging properly.

Then you need to diagnose the charging/combining system. Really pretty simple but you will need to identify which solenoid does the combining. There is plenty of information here to solve this quickly.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging