Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #1

Charging / Storage Question.

I am new to having a DP rig and I am storing it inside this year with electricity. I would like to leave it plugged in so the batteries can be kept fully charged. The rig is a 1999 Beaver Contessa. It has a 2000 watt inverter / charge for the house batteries and a Echo battery charger for the Chassis batteries.

Now comes the question. There are 2 battery shutoff switches in the rear compartment (Just behind the Bank of batteries), I assume one is for the house batteries and the other is for the chassis batteries. Can these switches be turned off and the batteries will still charge or do they have to be left on ?

Last year I stored outside and turned these switches off and things were fine in the spring when I turned them back on......

Any help would be appreciated.
bulldog2655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog2655 View Post
I am new to having a DP rig and I am storing it inside this year with electricity. I would like to leave it plugged in so the batteries can be kept fully charged. The rig is a 1999 Beaver Contessa. It has a 2000 watt inverter / charge for the house batteries and a Echo battery charger for the Chassis batteries.

Now comes the question. There are 2 battery shutoff switches in the rear compartment (Just behind the Bank of batteries), I assume one is for the house batteries and the other is for the chassis batteries. Can these switches be turned off and the batteries will still charge or do they have to be left on ?

Last year I stored outside and turned these switches off and things were fine in the spring when I turned them back on......

Any help would be appreciated.
My guess would be that they will not charge with the disconnects turned off.

I leave my switched on and leave mine plugged in.

I added a AMP-L-START charger between my disconnects so my converter charges all 4 batteries for house and chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (10).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	456.7 KB
ID:	79934  
Old 11-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
You should probably check to be sure, and while you're at it make sure all parts of the charging system works. Easy to do with a multimeter. First test battery voltage with everything off and the batteries have a chance to lose their surface charge, the false reading that develops as they charge. (at least a 2 hour rest) Then plug in the shore cord and take readings again. Then shut off the battery isolation switches and take third readings.

Fully charged, good 12 v batteries should read at least 12.6 v. Under charge, the voltage should go up above 13.4 v to overcome internal resistance to charge.

You could do the same readings while engine is running to verify both battery banks get charged from the alternator, and also try engine off, generator running to be sure it charges all batteries.

Later, if something malfunctions, having these readings can help isolate where the system has failed.

The only caution leaving plugged in all winter is be sure your chargers drop down to a 'float' charge level so you don't boil batteries dry. Since you stored unplugged last winter and the isolation switches actually stopped all phantom draws, (many don't) If you left it stored inside with shore power unplugged and switches off, you shouldn't cause any harm (unless a solar panel kept your charged last winter)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #4

Chassis batteries will not necessarily charge when plugged into electricity. A battery tender or 12v ($50) solar panel will keep a trickle charge to chassis batteries
Cfyanes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfyanes View Post
Chassis batteries will not necessarily charge when plugged into electricity. A battery tender or 12v ($50) solar panel will keep a trickle charge to chassis batteries
Thus the test I suggested to see if the system is 'complete,' has been upgraded, or needs to be. In addition, a solar panel won't work with RV stored inside.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:52 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OP says he has an Echo charger for his chassis batteries.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, storage