RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2014, 03:09 AM   #1

Clicking sound in 120v breaker box & strange indications on control panel's

After arriving in Indio California I tried the a.c. and it took a while to get it going. After the front a.c. ran for awhile I shut it off and I noticed a definite regular clicking coming from the 120 v breaker in the bedroom of our 2007 holiday rambler ambassador. I then noticed a strange pattern of indicators on the intellitech load meter. I turned off individual breakers, one at time and when one breaker was turned off the clicking sound stopped. Additionally turning off that specific breaker also caused the load meter to go dead.

I thought it would be prudent to disconnect the power cord at the electrical post in the rv park -the Indio Elko lodge.

We have only had the rig since Sept and this is our first long trip. This couldn't happen at home!

in the morning with the power disconnected I will open the breaker panel and check for loose connections and dirty contacts in any relay that may be in the breaker panel.

Any suggestions will be welcomed, including recommendation of rv shop or technicians.

Lee

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 05:45 AM   #2

Also check the voltage coming out of the campground power. Sometimes low or high voltage can cause the symptoms you mention. If that does not prove out you may want to swap the breakers around to see if there is a problem with one of them

trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #3

clicking in breaker box 120v

Now that it is daylight and I am semi functional I will check voltage, etc. Until I am comfortable with 120v situation I have to rough it and make coffee the hard way.

Any additional recommendations out there will be appreciated.

Lee
Old 01-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
What did the breaker supply power to? Your Converter/Charger? That could explain the amp draw and the clicking if they are adjacent to each other. Was the delay in the A/C because of a delay in your ATS that is built into it? If have an Electricity Monitor System (EMS) it also has a delay programmed in before connecting to power. If you don't have an EMS, I'd recommend getting one. Expensive, but cheap if you encounter power problems and have to replace all the electronics in the RV! Progressive Industries

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #5

OP-

While you are playing with the breakers and measuring, tighten the screw & wire connectors in both the AC and DC distro panals. They become loose with time and vibrations.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:47 AM   #6

I had a similar problem. I could hear a random clicking sound out of the. Breaker panel. (And my inverter charger would switch off and on erratically).

Turned out the be the contact on the back of the breaker where it makes contact with the bus bar. Seems that under load it had started arcing. The arcing caused carbon deposits on both the breaker an the bus bar.

I was on the road at the time and just cleaned - with one of the DW's old emory boards - both the contact on the breaker and the bus bar. This lasted for a few weeks.

I eventually ended up replacing the breaker (it was less than $4.00 at Lowe's) and I cleaned the bus bar very, very well with a wire brush on a Dremel tool.

Problem solved.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:51 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If your ac had difficulty starting you most like are pulling more amps then available. Breaker clicking I have no clue.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #8

Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions. I called Monaco and they thought that that it could be due to either a bad connection in the RV park utility pedestal or in my 50 to 30 amp adapter. I just happened to have a new 50 to 30 amp adapter so I put it on and I changed to the other outlet on the pedestal and the problem went away. In other parks with 50 am service there has been no further occurrence of the situation.

As far as the air conditioner it turned out that when set to auto for the fan it takes a few minutes for the air to boot up. This was also advice from the Monaco tech rep.

Lee

Tags
panel, cat