Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #1

Clothes Washer Vibration

To be specific our 2014 Forza has the stacked Whirlpool units. Initially I had found the mounting screws hand tight and within the four inch wide access
panel seemed to be able to tighten the phillips head screws. The washer has always vibrated [almost] violently until the load self balances [ no it's not overloaded] then as it reaches aircraft speed it settles into a lesser vibration
which is somewhat tolerable.

Would appreciate comments on owners with SAME unit , please.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2016, 02:19 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
We were kidding about the vibrations and thought of adding a sign.

IF THE RV'S AROCK'N GO AHEAD AND KNOCK.....IT'S JUST THE WASHER!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:33 PM   #3

It's normal. They all do it.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarasParents View Post
To be specific our 2014 Forza has the stacked Whirlpool units. Initially I had found the mounting screws hand tight and within the four inch wide access
panel seemed to be able to tighten the phillips head screws. The washer has always vibrated [almost] violently until the load self balances [ no it's not overloaded] then as it reaches aircraft speed it settles into a lesser vibration
which is somewhat tolerable.

Would appreciate comments on owners with SAME unit , please.
I thought they charged extra, for the shaking, so you could sleep.

Sorry just had to.

BOL,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:54 AM   #5

Just a thought on the vibration problem. Our washer had two large "transport bolts" in the back that kept the drum from having excessive movement during shipment. These were not mentioned in the operating instructions. They were described in the installation instructions, but I expect they could be overlooked by installers working in a hurry. Having the bolts in place during operation produces the vibration effects you describe--violent vibration until the drum gets up to speed. It's probably a pain to see if the bolts are still installed in your washer, but maybe with a mirror and a flashlight you can get a look back there. Look at the installation instructions to see the location of the bolts (download it if you don't have it) and make sure that they have been removed. You can probably guess why I'm offering this advice. Yes--this was the cause of the violent vibration problem with our washer. As the previous poster stated in his reply, some vibration is normal when the spin cycle starts, but the "violent" you describe should not be considered normal. Good luck.
Notayurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:59 AM   #6

Ahh, ya gotta love the comedians!

Notayurt thanks for the information. I should have the installation instructions in the packet, I'll see if with a mirror in the limited space the bolts can be seen. The vibration is so bad it can't be normal operation.

Were you able to remove yours with the washer in place? Removing the units would be a major PITA. Will be at campground tomorrow.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Ahh, ya gotta love the comedians!

Notayurt thanks for the information. I should have the installation instructions in the packet, I'll see if with a mirror in the limited space the bolts can be seen. The vibration is so bad it can't be normal operation.

Were you able to remove yours with the washer in place? Removing the units would be a major PITA. Will be at campground tomorrow.
The first time we used the washer was a real eye-opener. Our MH is 32,000 lbs + and you would not think that little washer could make this coach rock so! It was explained to us by an engineer as being a harmonic vibration set up by the spin cycle of the washer because of the suspension system of the coach and the hydraulic jacks. We have been full timing for years and DW does laundry every week 4 to 5 loads. It is worse when it is a load of towels.
You never quite get used to it. I usually avoid taking a nap during that time
Old 06-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #8

We have had two Whirlpool washers die in a little over one year -- just long enough to be out of warranty.

I believe that brand to be junk. While both washers did work they vibrated like crazy and made all sorts of strange noise.

After the second failure, we replaced the Whirlpool junk with a LG 120V washer. What a difference! Not only is the excessive vibration gone, but the washing is much better.

An important note! There is a filter before the drain water pump that needs to be cleaned at times in both washers.

The whirlpool does not mention that filter at all in the manual. The only access to it is to take the washer sheet metal apart and do the maintenance. It normally requires a tech to do that work for a fee. But that's not all, water will be present at that filter and the Whirlpool provides no means of keeping it off the floor when the filter is cleaned.

The LG describes the filter in the manual, has a door to access the filter and a drain line with a shut off to to keep water off the floor maintain the filter.

There is no comparison between the two units and fortunately I believe the Whirpool has been taken off the market.

This is really just an update to Whirlpool washer owner about the problems they are about to have. You can solve those problems with an LG.

Good Luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #9

I would suggest getting a second opinion on the vibration also, what may be excessive to you could just be the normal acceptable operation to those who have more experience with these machines.
Like mentioned, I just don't turn on the washer if I'm about to go to bed, sometimes even before a meal at the dinning table, that's how much ours rocks the coach.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:57 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
This problem has been discussed in here many times. It seems that most everyone with a Whirlpool are having the same issue.

Hopefully someone will come up with a fix.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:38 PM   #11

The fix is to get a LG. It works great!
You will have a complete failure with the Whirlpool sooner than later.

Good Luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #12

our home unit is a front load maytag which is mechanically identical to whirpool washers....they're both junk. I've done the rear bearings in ours twice in 5 years. Open your door and push up on the drum and see if there's movement. The way they're designed just sets them up for bearing failure. Ton of load in a small area on the rear of the drum. You can buy just the bearings but whirlpool doesn't carry them....found a bearing and seal kit on ebay and bought 2. Glad I did because I'm now on that 2nd set. After these go I'm buying a speed queen. The first set of bearings I let go too far and they introduced grease into the washer and ruined an entire load of clothes.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:29 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for the constructive replies. I had tried a search several ways without results. I'll check for shipping bolts, however, I think the consensus is what we are concerned about is unfortunately the nature of the beast.

It's a shame for what the units cost and apparently have a short destructive life cycle. Next time will try to research whatever brand is installed and may opt for just the prep package.

Replacement bearings and an LG are in our future.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:45 AM   #14

Quote:

I'm sorry to say that we had to pull the washer out to remove the shipping bolts. We were able to see the bolt heads with the washer in place by peering down from the top, but weren't able to run them out from there. Maybe you'll have better luck with them if they are indeed the source of the vibration.
Notayurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vibration