Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2018, 11:28 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coach in storage question - batteries?

I stored my recently acquired coach in outdoor storage, in Clearwater Florida. It has been in storage for about 30 days. I shut off everything I could think of. Yesterday my brother in-law was nice enough to check on the coach, as I am in dismal Michigan.

Here is a pic of my inverter remote. Am I to conclude from this pic that my batteries are registering 13.1 volts? If so, does this mean my batteries are holding the charge?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7068 (1).jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	198998  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #2

Yes , the batteries are fully charged, but for a batteries only read out I'd expect 12.6/12.8 v.
Any chance there is a solar panel on the rig you're not aware of ; because 13.1 v is a charging system float ( maintenance ) charge rate.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:42 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Yes , the batteries are fully charged, but for a batteries only read out I'd expect 12.6/12.8 v.
Any chance there is a solar panel on the rig you're not aware of ; because 13.1 v is a charging system float ( maintenance ) charge rate.
Yes...it has the OEM 100 watt solar panel. I was told that solar panel was not enough to keep batteries charged. Is this inaccurate?
Old 04-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
Yes...it has the OEM 100 watt solar panel. I was told that solar panel was not enough to keep batteries charged. Is this inaccurate?
It's enough to keep them charged when everything is turned off, but not enough if you are using power with things turned on.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
It's enough to keep them charged when everything is turned off, but not enough if you are using power with things turned on.
Thanks. I was worried my batteries might discharge, while in storage. At least that is one worry I can forget about.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
Thanks. I was worried my batteries might discharge, while in storage. At least that is one worry I can forget about.
Unfortunately the solar may be only hooked to the coach batteries, and not maintain the chassis batteries. Unless the coach is set up to link the banks when one set is charging ; you won't know till you're there to start the coach.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I thought I read in the manual that the solar panel does charge both chassis and house batteries, but I might be wrong. I will check that out. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:03 PM   #8

if you are wrong condider adding a Trik-L-Start (firmerly called a Trik-L-Charge) charger to your coach. this will keep the chassis battery charged while connected to shore power.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #9

solar power for RVs is typically a direct connection to the house batteries, it does not connect to your onboard Charger - so no charging to the chassis batteries, it's just not what most folks expect, they want House battery charging.

but, chassis batteries are rarely the issue, since little effects them while in storage.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
solar power for RVs is typically a direct connection to the house batteries, it does not connect to your onboard Charger - so no charging to the chassis batteries, it's just not what most folks expect, they want House battery charging.

but, chassis batteries are rarely the issue, since little effects them while in storage.
100% agree
Old 04-15-2018, 03:41 PM   #11

The solar controller will charge the chassis battery while connected to the house batteries if it has bi-directional charging or a Trickle start device.

The onboard charger doesn't charge the chassis batteries. It ONLY charges the house batteries.

From the house batteries, some other device is needed to share that with the chassis battery, Whether the charging is coming from Solar, converter inverter/charger or onboard charger, you need a Trik L Start, Amp L Start, battery combiner, BIM or BIRD.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:30 PM   #12

On the Trik-L-Start on the wiring diagram, the Black wire goes to "chassis ground". Can you run the Black wire directly to the "Negative" battery post instead of wiring it to the Chassis?
Rnicfingrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnicfingrp View Post
On the Trik-L-Start on the wiring diagram, the Black wire goes to "chassis ground". Can you run the Black wire directly to the "Negative" battery post instead of wiring it to the Chassis?
Yes, absolutely.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:28 PM   #14
STJ

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't forget to check water in Batteries

Since you are getting a charge, have someone check the water level once a month or so, and ad water as needed.
STJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, storage