RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #1

Coating Fridge Fins with a SuperHydrophobic coating to avoid frost/ice

Our Norcold 1200 that's been upgraded with a new 'residential' style cooling unit is now building up ice on the fins, which seems to reduce cooling recovery as it builds up...

I'm considering removing the interior fins and spraying them with Ultra Ever Dry... it's a Hydrophobic/Oleophobic coating which basically allows nothing (including water) to stick to it.

Can anyone see why even a small amount of frost on the fins would be beneficial? I think this could increase the efficiency of our fridge even further.

I already have about a quart of the coating left from our business, and applying it wouldn't be too difficult... plus if it's really bad, I can always strip it off with Xylene or MEK, but trying to figure out if I'd be causing more problems by doing the work in the first place.

-J

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is what happens when you are in high humidity areas and open and close refrigerator a lot.

I bought this 12 volt add on fan to the fins and when I see frost buildup I turn on the fan and it will maintain air movement thru out the whole interior.
Works for me as well as many others as this has been around for many years.

You can buy them for $13
https://rvcoolingunit.com/Evaporator...-P5648738.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorhome June 16 2013 018.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	209461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorhome June 16 2013 019.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	209462  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6436902.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	209463  

IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:01 PM   #3

JR at the Amish Fridge Shop explicitly told me NOT to install one of the cooling fans as it would make the freezer temps higher.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have no doubt that the coating will change the conductivity of the fins, even if only a few molecules thick. What that impact would be, I can't say. Do you have experience with the impact of the coating on conductivity?

Regarding the fans, I've added them to my Norcold 1200, and they has been an excellent addition. Contrarily, my experience shows that the outer edge of the fins frost up faster with the fans on that without. However, with the fan, defrosting is easy and quick. Just shut the fridge off, leaving the fans running, and in about an hour the fins are frost free and ready to go again; just don't forget! Secondly, the fridge operates at a lower setting to maintain the desired temp when the fans are running versus not.
gvjackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:54 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanick View Post
JR at the Amish Fridge Shop explicitly told me NOT to install one of the cooling fans as it would make the freezer temps higher.
Can't see how?
We are talking about refrigerator interior NOT freezer interior.
What is the purpose it to keep air movement all around the interior and actually will give you a more balance temp thruout.
If you also have a fully loaded refrigerator you will have very little air movement which will make the temps rise.

I have used one of these on my last 3 rigs and I can tell you it reduces frost buildup in refrigerator.

Believe it or not.
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:06 PM   #6

Another thing to consider besides the physics after coating is the off gassing of chemicals you probably don't want in your food. Of gassing can take place for some time even after a coating has dried.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Another thing to consider besides the physics after coating is the off gassing of chemicals you probably don't want in your food. Of gassing can take place for some time even after a coating has dried.
while not currently FDA approved, this company has done tests with the coating on food storage tanks and has not observed any problems... I believe I heard that FDA approval is pending for direct food contact, so off gassing or anything else shouldn't be a concern.

Quote:
I have no doubt that the coating will change the conductivity of the fins, even if only a few molecules thick. What that impact would be, I can't say. Do you have experience with the impact of the coating on conductivity?
I didn't think of the conductivity issues... this stuff does act as a dielectric, so it may block temperature transfer at least some....

I ordered up a fan, we'll see how that works... easier solution than removing the fins, and the air circulation can only help.

I do have a temperature monitor setup on the freezer and fridge, so I can see what's happening after I install it.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:04 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I added one of these to the Norcold in our Itasca and found it works much better than the small fans. It moves a stream of air over the entire width of the cooling fins and circulates air throughout the cabinet. It almost totally eliminated frost buildup.
https://smartrvproducts.com/works/
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:58 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I added one of these to the Norcold in our Itasca and ...
A unit covering the full width of the fins makes a LOT of sense based on my experience with the smaller fans in my 1200. However, given the price for the 1200, and the fact that I am seeing a benefit as is, I'll wait, but, I am saving the link!
gvjackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #10

Quote:
I added one of these to the Norcold in our Itasca and found it works much better than the small fans. It moves a stream of air over the entire width of the cooling fins and circulates air throughout the cabinet. It almost totally eliminated frost buildup.
X2.....
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

X3!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanick View Post
Our Norcold 1200 that's been upgraded with a new 'residential' style cooling unit is now building up ice on the fins, which seems to reduce cooling recovery as it builds up...

I'm considering removing the interior fins and spraying them with Ultra Ever Dry... it's a Hydrophobic/Oleophobic coating which basically allows nothing (including water) to stick to it.

Can anyone see why even a small amount of frost on the fins would be beneficial? I think this could increase the efficiency of our fridge even further.

I already have about a quart of the coating left from our business, and applying it wouldn't be too difficult... plus if it's really bad, I can always strip it off with Xylene or MEK, but trying to figure out if I'd be causing more problems by doing the work in the first place.

-J
I'm interested in that conversion. Just got my second $307 check from the Norcold lawsuit.
Maybe you can run your fridge at a lower setting so as to not get so much frost.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:01 PM   #13

'Residential cooling unit'.....?????????
Either an absorption cooling unit or a compressor driven residential unit
Sounds like a 'marketing ploy'

Turn temp setting down...wait 12 hrs then check temps and 'fin frosting'

Fan in the food compartment helps circulate the cool air and will help with frosting on fins.,,,,,,to a degree.
Humidity plays a big part in frosting up of fins be it from ambient air or warm/sweaty food stuff placed in food compartment
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
'Residential cooling unit'.....?????????
Either an absorption cooling unit or a compressor driven residential unit
Sounds like a 'marketing ploy'
no marketing ploy.. this is a compressor driven cooling unit that replaces the original factory absorption unit, yet uses the same front panel controls and cabinet as the original fridge.

Products | JC Refrigeration

I believe it's a combination of warm food and the super hot/humid weekends we've been having here.

A setting on 2 with the doors NOT being opened will get the fridge into the low 30 degrees now..

I ordered one of the small fans and will be installing it to see how much it helps. I also have a call into the company that makes the coating to see how much of an insulating effect it may have on heat transfer.

Tags
fridge