Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #1

Cold water line to shower frozen

I've tried to thaw the cold water line to the shower by adding heat to the coach, water closet, under shower and even turned the coach around so the sun will warm the side with the shower. I even replaced the shower faucet and still don't get any cold water in the shower. It's been below freezing every night in Colorado but the days are in the 50's.

Class A 2009 Winnebago Destination.

Any suggestions??
Ruddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2014, 08:14 PM   #2

It's not frozen, you have another issue.
Is it a faucet/shower or just the shower head? Is the shower head off? Do you get water out of the water line if the line is disconnected from the faucet?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:20 PM   #3

Not the shower head or faucet. I tried it without the faucet attached and still no water.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #4

Then you need to follow that line down and see what's going on. I'd be surprised if it was frozen still.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:34 PM   #5

Okay. I'll follow it to the source and see what I find. Any ideas, if it's not frozen, what could cause it? It was fine until I went to winterize the coach after a trip where we did freeze some lines on the way home but everything was flowing after I added the heat. The rest of the coach winterized just fine. Just can't figure out why this line is not working.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:17 AM   #6

I don't have a plumbing diagram on your unit's water/wet bay specifically.. however a common culprit for your scenario is a 1-way valve inline that has gone bad. In some plumbing setups leaving the outdoor shower faucets ON but having the spray head turned off can cause a mixing of hot/cold feeding (in most cases) the bathroom(s). To prevent this a 1-way valve is installed downstream of the outdoor shower faucet. These do go bad.

Winnebago does indeed still have plumbing diagrams for your wet bay. Meanwhile, if you still have access to the cold water line from the back of the shower faucet you can try a couple of things to prove/disprove this.

Unhook from city water if you're connected. I assume you have enough water in the fresh water holding tank for this.

With the water pump ON remove the shower's cold line again. Try to blow thru that cold line.

Now turn the water pump OFF and open the sink cold/hot lines and leave them open. This will remove all pressure from the system. Now try blowing thru the shower cold line again. If you get air flowing thru the line with the pressure relieved then it is indeed a bad 1-way valve causing your problems.

If you have access to an air compressor, it may require using it as you may not be able to generate enough pressure to toggle or free up the stuck/bad 1-way valve. Just be careful and make sure the line pressure on the air tank is less than 40psi.

Keep us posted.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:52 AM   #7

Just did some more searching for you.. Winnebago has posted all their plumbing diagrams, very well laid out. Kudos to them. I looked thru the the 3 different Destination models for your year, the 37G, 39N and 39W. Unfortunately, all 3 feed the shower differently - Have a look thru these. I do indeed see a 1-way valve on the cold water side in all 3 though.

2009 Plumbing Diagrams
Old 01-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #8

That is great information. I will give it a try today. Thank you for taking the time to research and respond. I appreciate it very much!
Old 01-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #9

That seems to have made the difference but for some reason I have to have the hot water tank bypass on Normal and not on bypass. When I switch it to bypass to winterize the cold water line for the shower it does not work. After carful review of the plumbing diagram I'm wondering if the lines got switched and I'm not getting water throughout the hot water line since it looks to be coming directly from the water heater and after the bypass. Unit is a 39W.

It seems to be working now and I got the lines winterized. It may be I'm still a rookie at this but I'm learning.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 01-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #10

You can move the shower line feed to the opposite side of your bypass lever and you won't have this problem again.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #11

Good idea. Maybe this summer I'll move the line. Just happy to know it's not frozen and it works.

Thank You.