Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2019, 11:05 PM   #1

Combo washer

I have been back and forth on this subject and I have read a fair amount. I thought I knew what I wanted then I had information overload.

We are going to be part timers and mostly boondockers. We will typically be working at one extreme or another. We will only be out for a day or two, or will be out for about a month at a time.

Being boondockers relative water conservation is a consideration for sure. On our short outings we will mainly be using our S&B washer/dry for laundry. On our longer outings for large or heavy loads we have no problem hitting a laundry mat.

On the longer trips I think it would be nice toss in a load of light stuff, socks/underwear/t-shirts, wash cloths, dish rags, etc if needed. As you well know there is limited space in an RV and being able to clean stuff vs packing more can be helpful.

Our unit has 120 gallons of water. In a 5 day period we may do 1-2 loads of laundry which average 10gallons of water each. This would still leave us with 100 gallons of water for other uses.

For this purpose it seems like a combo unit would make more sense than a stacked unit. Depending on the weather this light weight stuff could actually be hung dried.

Does this make sense or is a stacked unit still better?
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2019, 11:26 PM   #2

we looked at this pretty thoroughly before buying new in 2015. we ultimately chose not to buy the W/D option. first, we could use the space for extra storage. second, the cost of the W/D could buy a LOT of laundy loads. lastly, we do wash roughly every 7-10 days. takes about 2-hrs so no big deal. we’re usually out for 4-6 mos per year.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:41 PM   #3

We really like our Splendide vented combo. DW will even start a load of clothes when we are driving on an interstate, of course this means running the genset but she has a load ready for folding when we arrive. It is important to begin with empty gray tank though.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
we looked at this pretty thoroughly before buying new in 2015. we ultimately chose not to buy the W/D option. first, we could use the space for extra storage. second, the cost of the W/D could buy a LOT of laundy loads. lastly, we do wash roughly every 7-10 days. takes about 2-hrs so no big deal. we’re usually out for 4-6 mos per year.
These are the kind of things we are considering.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
We really like our Splendide vented combo. DW will even start a load of clothes when we are driving on an interstate, of course this means running the genset but she has a load ready for folding when we arrive. It is important to begin with empty gray tank though.
In theory if we are driving and the solar is working (not installed yet) it might be possible to even run off my inverter (3000 watts).

I do have 88 gallons of grey so that helps, but empty is always best for sure.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
These are the kind of things we are considering.
i should’ve added the miniscule loads the combo units can handle. if we were to purchase a W/D it would be the stacked twins but that adds a LOT of weight.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I see this advice about empty gray tanks all the time, and don't get it. If you have a 70-gallon gray tank and your washer uses 16 gallons, the gray tank doesn't need to be empty in order to use the washing machine.

As for the minuscule loads in a combo unit, I have a Splendide 2100, which I'm pretty sure has a smaller drum than newer ones, and I routinely wash a set of queen sheets with extra pillowcases in it, and if I'm conserving water, I'll put two bath towels and a hand towel in there as well, along with a few socks and other small items. Sure, it doesn't wash 17 pairs of jeans like the machines I see in stores these days, but I don't find the size to be the hindrance that a lot of people do.

And Nwcid, I use the washing machine on the inverter, but only after upgrading to a pure sine wave one. I was never confident that the control board would be happy on a modified sine wave inverter and didn't want to risk killing it. And I really like not having to fire up the generator just to provide the tiny bit of electricity that the washing machine uses.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
I see this advice about empty gray tanks all the time, and don't get it. If you have a 70-gallon gray tank and your washer uses 16 gallons, the gray tank doesn't need to be empty in order to use the washing machine.

As for the minuscule loads in a combo unit, I have a Splendide 2100, which I'm pretty sure has a smaller drum than newer ones, and I routinely wash a set of queen sheets with extra pillowcases in it, and if I'm conserving water, I'll put two bath towels and a hand towel in there as well, along with a few socks and other small items. Sure, it doesn't wash 17 pairs of jeans like the machines I see in stores these days, but I don't find the size to be the hindrance that a lot of people do.

And Nwcid, I use the washing machine on the inverter, but only after upgrading to a pure sine wave one. I was never confident that the control board would be happy on a modified sine wave inverter and didn't want to risk killing it. And I really like not having to fire up the generator just to provide the tiny bit of electricity that the washing machine uses.
This is helpful. We are intending only to do the occasional small loads. I realize this will never be cheaper than using a laundry mat like solar will never pay for itself, it is matter of convenience.

I do have an PWS inverter. I just looked and noticed that my W/D outlet is not on the inverter. I will have to re-evaluate this as I finish installing my inverter this week.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:19 AM   #9

I like ours for weekly outings to help keep the dirty laundry from piling up.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
I do have an PWS inverter. I just looked and noticed that my W/D outlet is not on the inverter. I will have to re-evaluate this as I finish installing my inverter this week.
Mine isn't on the inverter, either. The outlet is accessible by pulling one drawer out, so it's not a big deal to unplug the washer and plug it into an extension cord that is on the inverter.

I sometimes use the W/D outlet for a space heater (since I can run only 30 amps through the inverter circuit even on shore power), and have an extension cord plugged into the non-inverter W/D outlet for that purpose. So there's a lot of action with that W/D outlet.

I'm really happy to now be able to use the washer on the inverter. If it's possible to hang something to dry, I'll always do that instead of use the dryer just because it's easier on the clothes. So not having the dryer available isn't necessarily a big deal. I always machine dry towels, but for most other clothes, especially what I'm wearing if I'm out boondocking, I don't machine dry them. And if I'm not in humid weather, I hang my sheets to dry inside (the bus-driver fans in the windshield are perfect for hanging fitted sheets).

There are times when I'm doing a bunch of laundry and I'd like to be able to wash and dry at the same time, but in the overall scheme of things, the combo unit works well for me.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote