Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #29

National RV Owners Club
The other way to do it is install a outside outlet where the inverter is and then
plug the shore power cable into it when needed.
Rather than run wires an attempt to over come a whole host of problem I think
I would do that.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
The other way to do it is install a outside outlet where the inverter is and then
plug the shore power cable into it when needed.
Rather than run wires an attempt to over come a whole host of problem I think
I would do that.
If you do it the way i did there are no problems, Plus all i have to do is flip a switch
Old 01-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPVman View Post
If you do it the way i did there are no problems, Plus all i have to do is flip a switch
Understood and thank you for responding with a very viable option. The only draw back is my fully insulated and enclosed underbelly.

Here is my floor plan. The two bottom cabinets at the far front corners of the unit both have external access. I like the one on the patio side for accessibility throughout the day and either one as there just 4 foot away from the batteries. My power distribution center is under the stove.

I'm already drilling a 1 1/2" hole in the floor at the front inside corner of the right hand cabinet with a hole saw for a conduit that will carry the 6 gauge battery cables and the 8 gauge positive to the power distribution system (WFCO). There is a junction box on the frame with an 8 gauge wire that leads into the sealed underbelly I will connect this to.

To do it your way (which I would prefer) I would need to run a 12/3 romex down the existing planned conduit, down the frame, then up through another hole in the floor to the area under the stove. I'd rather not but after more thought I might. There's plenty of time. I'm assembling parts, theorizing, and planning while the snow comes down sideways outside.
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
If I were you I would not take shortcuts. One mistake, like pulling your shore power out of your "dead receptacle" with the inverter on will shock you or your loved one or worse. In all my installations I have used either a DPDT switch or a transfer switch (relay) like other posters have done.

I would highly recommend running the romex (thru conduit) down the frame and up thru another hole like you mentioned in your last post. I did this on our class C, I used conduit with type UF wire in it. Overkill but I wanted to make darn sure I didn't have an issue with accidental cutting of the UF wire in the future and also wanted to make doubly sure it was waterproof.

I oversized the conduit and used conduit elbows that have weatherproof removable covers so I could run the UF through (it isn't the most flexible stuff on earth).
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
Can you elaborate on this please? Is it in your converter? Hows it wired?

Jeff
I have one of those too for one set of outlets. A double pole switch means it switches two wires (Black and white in this case) the switch has six screws.

I removed the cable from the box that originally powered the circuit and ran it to the switch It hooks to the "Center" terminals (Black on one side whtie on the other)

I ran a new length of Romex from the main breaker box to one end of the switch, again black is on the same side as the other black, white on the same side as the other side.

I ran a romex from the inverter panel to the other end of the switch, All blacks are on one side, all whites on the other.

All bare wires (Ground) are either connected together or I may have just left the Inverter ground open (no connected together inverter not bonded to ground).

Mine is an ON/Off/On break before make 2 step switch certifed for power line transfer.

2 step means you turn it off, THEN you turn it on, you can not go from ON to ON in one move like a radio shack switch.

And it is a real 30 amp switch too. (Even if it's 15 amp breakers that feed it)

Yet a better way is how the rest of the inverter powered circuits are done

Main panel----Inverter---Sub panel---Loads.

The inverter is a Prosine (Do go with TRUE sine wave please) and contains it's own built in transfer switch, (Also a batttery charger/converter, dang good one too) most top end True Sine Wave "in-line" inverters also fit this description.

The prosine, alas, has been discontinued.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #34

Ok I give. It means more work but as stated before I do like this solution better.
I'll need something like this

Toggle Switch DPDT on/off/on screw terminals.

And I'll mount this down in the power center behind the cover panel and clearly label it inverter shore.

Thanks you guys. This will make it fool proof.
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter