Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #1

Connecting Batt to Converter

So, I disconnected the battery on my camper and disconnected the wiring to a terminal block trying to identify a short... My camper has a 12v converter that charges the battery while also allowing the system run from the battery alone.

Long-story short... there were 3 wires connected to the terminal block at the battery. One wire is the positive lead from the battery, one wire is the 12v feed from the converter to charge the battery and one wire is the load line... The terminal block has Aux on one side and Batt on the other... from memory, there where two wires connected to the Aux post and one wire connected the the Batt post.

My feeling is that the positive lead from the battery and the load wire connects to the "Aux" post and the 12v feed from the converter connects to the "Batt" post? This seems that it would allow the converter to charge the battery without letting the battery backfeed to the converter?

Thanks
travis3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #2

Typical 12V system.....

Converter/charger......when connected to 120V AC power source converter supplies DC System and charges battery (DC Dist Panel with Fuses fed from converter)

W/O 120V AC power....battery supplies DC System (DC Dist Panel with Fuses fed from battery)

Battery can also have high draw items (slide outs/landing gear etc) wired directly from battery (not fed thru DC Dist Panel)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:43 PM   #3

Connecting Batt to Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3030 View Post
So, I disconnected the battery on my camper and disconnected the wiring to a terminal block trying to identify a short... My camper has a 12v converter that charges the battery while also allowing the system run from the battery alone.

Long-story short... there were 3 wires connected to the terminal block at the battery. One wire is the positive lead from the battery, one wire is the 12v feed from the converter to charge the battery and one wire is the load line... The terminal block has Aux on one side and Batt on the other... from memory, there where two wires connected to the Aux post and one wire connected the the Batt post.

My feeling is that the positive lead from the battery and the load wire connects to the "Aux" post and the 12v feed from the converter connects to the "Batt" post? This seems that it would allow the converter to charge the battery without letting the battery backfeed to the converter?

Thanks

If I'm understanding this correctly, you're wanting to know which two wires to connect to which side of the terminal block? Unless there is a really big diode or a fuse in there, it really doesn't matter. If there is a fuse, battery in one side, every thing else on the other.

Next time, take a picture first then there won't be any doubt.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:48 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies!

I'm familiar with how the 120v/12v/converter system works. I'm just not familiar with the two- post terminal block located near the battery. I assumed it was a diode, which was the reason for my question... after more research, I think it's just an autoresetting breaker. If that's the case, then I think I would just connect the +12v battery feed to the "batt" post and then connect the ~12v converter feed and load feed both to the "aux" post.

I'm normally good about taking pics and typically do... I didn't think anything about this one because it was just three wires and I assumed it was just a "buss" style connector, until I read "batt" and "aux" on it when I was putting it back together and instantly thought it was a diode, which made me think more about it.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-06-2016, 07:39 AM   #5

Duh! Breaker didn't occur to me when I replied. One post silver, one copper? I have at least two in mine. A 50A and a 30 A. Got my camera in there and snapped pictures to determine the size. On a recent Amazon order, got a spare for each. Now I'll never need them but I'll have them, just in case.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:53 AM   #6

Does your unit have a battery disconnect switch?

If so you need to get a voltmeter and do some checking.

If 3 places to connect when switch is on all should be von nested together.

When switch is "battery disconnected" one will no longer be connected to the other 2 and that is likely where battery goes.

This is only a guess and suggestion
Old 07-06-2016, 07:56 AM   #7

I can't really tell if there is a silver post and a copper post, as both are pretty rusty/corroded... but I'm fairly sure that's what it is now. A spare isn't a bad idea as I'm also going to have to order a new one... one of the studs spun free(broke) as I was trying to put it back together... smh
Old 07-06-2016, 07:59 AM   #8

It doesnt have a disconnect switch. just a two post connector with one post labeled "batt" and the other labeled "aux". looks very similar to a auto re-setting breaker, now that i've found some pictures of 30amp and 50amp auto re-setting breakers.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:22 AM   #9

Travis, you might be the guy I bought my spares for.
Good luck and happy travels.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:43 AM   #10

12V DC auto resetting CB

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter