Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2018, 06:29 PM   #1

Connecting both a Trimetric and Victron battery monitors

Hi folks,

I just purchased a Bluetooth Victron battery monitor as did not want to to try to get a cable in to the coach for my Trimetric. I will mount it in a vented battery bay with Agms.

I am trying to figure out what to do my Trimetric.

Is there any point in having two battery monitors or should I just sell it?

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2018, 06:09 PM   #2

Is there any advantage to having two monitors connected?
Old 06-21-2018, 09:07 PM   #3

Would it make any sense connecting the Trimetric to my starting battery?
Old 06-22-2018, 03:45 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have no experience running two monitors on the same battery bank. That said, I cannot imagine any value to it. The Trimetric is more configurable and, with a bit of time/tuning, can be setup to be pretty accurate so I would find it preferable to the Victron. I do understand the wiring problem though. However; a good electrical snake and a couple people can accomplish an awful lot in a very short time! :-)

I don't see any real value to having a monitor on the chassis batteries. If you sit for long periods, it may provide some semi-interesting information that may lead you to some sort of trickle charger for those batteries. Not sure I would find this information to be 'valuable' though - not like the house battery bank SOC information.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:00 AM   #5

1stmh-

You've probably noticed the large number of "my chassis battery doesn't charge from shore power" threads on iRV2. This can be because some component has failed in the house <--> chassis battery cross-charging system.

Since you will already have a full-function battery monitor on your house batteries, what is missing is something to tell you the cross-charging system is working when on shore, generator, or solar power (that is, when the converter is charging the house batteries). In your coach's case, you're checking to see if the Trik-L-Start is working. If it is, you can be reasonably sure the coach engine will start when you're ready to get underway.

You don't need a full-function battery monitor to tell you this, though. A simple voltmeter attached to the chassis battery lead will tell you if the battery is being charged.

If you look at the Trimetric manual, you'll notice they accept a second input- for voltage-only. The Bogart Engineering folks gave the Trimetric the capability to check the chassis battery with the same display as used for full-function monitoring of the house batteries- slick!

One fly in the ointment for you, though- wiring. Although you can pick off the chassis battery voltage at the AUX BOOST solenoid (in the electric bay), rather than at the battery itself, you still need to run a wire from there to the Trimetric display. You'll want that display somewhere in the coach. The difficulty of running wires to the display inside the coach is the problem that has driven you to buy a Victron "wireless" battery monitor system.

In the interest of full-disclosure, I've had a new Trimetric shunt and display sitting in the box for two years. I know where I want the display, and the path to get there. On our coach, it will require some modifications to make the wire pull easier and to make the display (area) neater, and I have to figure out the least-intrusive, least-unsightly way of making those modifications. Other repairs, and using the coach, have come first.

All rolled up together, I'd say it isn't worth installing the Trimetric monitor on your chassis battery. Either keep it (in case the Victron doen't work for you) or sell it.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #6

Thanks gentlemen,

I have not fitted the Victron yet as waiting on my new batteries to arrive. I will hold on to the Trimetric and see how the Victron goes.

Thats intersting the Trimetric has another input.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:26 AM   #7

I flitted the Victron last week inside the coach, I was able to use the entry hole that Big foot had used for the new levelers. The Victron is a much smaller and nicer looking than the non flush mounted Trimetric.

The Bluetooth is great also.

Tags
battery, monitor