Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2016, 07:48 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Considering adding res fridge. Where to start???

We have a double door Norcold and want to replace with a residential fridge. Norcold just will not stay below 40 degrees. Other than the obvious space issue what should we look for? Any other 2006 HR Navigator owners out there that have made the switch???? Any suggested brands???

Thanks
Jerry
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2016, 08:00 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
First thing (other than space) is battery and inverter. Do you have batteries sufficient to run a residential fridge? Do you have a suitable inverter?

4x6V batteries is bare minimum. 6x6V is better. We have 8x6V AGMs.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:33 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset4k View Post
We have a double door Norcold and want to replace with a residential fridge. Norcold just will not stay below 40 degrees. Other than the obvious space issue what should we look for? Any other 2006 HR Navigator owners out there that have made the switch???? Any suggested brands???

Thanks
Jerry
We've got one in our 2004 SIG and love it. Wouldn't ever have an RV fridge again after 3 coil failures in our previous Beaver Marquis. I suggest that you look for some one who has done the switch in the past and have them do the change. Two places I know of who have done the switch are Elkhart Sales & Service in Elkhart, IN and Elite Service in Harrisburg, OR. I have used both shops in the past and can recommend them both for doing quaility work.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What model Norcold do you have. Posting that info would help those with the same refer to comment.

Battery size and numbers are important but only to a point. It really is based on intended use. We have 4 batteries with a total of 440 AHs at 12V. That means effectively 220 AH usable. We also have an AGS and BMK to keep us charged and well informed on battery state of charge.

We seldom boondock except for an occasional Wallydock. Typically we have full batteries on arrival. The big variable is whether or not we run the genny to have air conditioning. If we don't need/want air conditioning we can get an honest 6 hours before our genny kicks in. That assumes that for 2-3 hours we are running 2 TVs, our Genie DirecTV receiver, 2 computers, lights, a couple fantastic fans and (of course) the Samsung 197 refer. If we arrive late and shut things down quickly, we get closer to 8 hours.

If you have an AGS and tend to be like us with minimal boon docking then IMHO, power management is not a problem at all. Keep in mind that your RV's alternator will easily keep your batteries charged while driving so running the generator while driving is not needed unless you are doing it for other reasons like running you air conditioners.

Our Magnum Energy MS-2812 (2800W) provides all the power we need to do everything I mentioned but we do use the genny to run the microwave or coffee maker. Depending on your situation you might consider running a dedicated PSW inverter for your refer. It really depends on how you want to set it up. There are pros and cons on choice of running a dedicated inverter or not.

I will admit that I wish my battery bay was 3/4" taller to upgrade my batteries to add 50% more AHs but I'm not all whacked out that I can't. It's working for us as is.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #5

We had our Not-So-Cold replace with the Samsung 197 RR frig going on 3 years ago and it is great. I have 4 (6v) batteries and thinking of adding 2 more maybe next year if I have to replace the 4 older ones because I want them all the same age.
We had the Xantrex 458 Freedom inverter and had switched out at the same time for the Magnum 2812 PSW inverter with a new controller. The inverter is on 24-7 works great.
We had everything installed at Kustom Coach Works in Junction City, Or. Everything took 7hrs, not bad and it looks factory.
Kustom Coach Works --Home
This is not my install but it looks the same, this is an 07 and mine is an 06.
Samsung Refrigerator Install
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:12 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am parked next to a guy who put one in and dint try to run it off batteries. He is plugged in at the park and he says when he is traveling he will run the genny for a few hours around lunch time. Everything stays frozen in the freezer and coll in the box.
I will try that when my refer dies.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:14 AM   #7

I don't have an HR Navigator but we did replace our 4 door Dometic with a residential last summer. Your issue is going to be the size of the box that the Norcold sits in. The ONLY frig we could find that would fit in ours was a Samsung rf18, due to the depth of the unit. We have a center island and the Samsung was the only one that would fit. The installer still had to move our kitchen island over 1". Measure your Norcold, then go check Home Depot's and Lowe's websites for frig's that will fit. Check the reviews, you will find comments from other rv's that have installed them. After our Dometic's cooling unit failed 3 times, we gave up and installed the residential. We did not install the inverter or batteries, we rarely boondock and normally don't travel in hot weather. However, we were in Needles, CA shortly after installation and it was 114 degrees, the frig was on 48 when we stopped but within 30 minutes was back down to 38. Love it.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #8

We replaced ours with the Samsung Rf18. We do not boondock and rarely use it with the inverter. As stated by someone else, when traveling, we stop for lunch and run the genny for 30 minutes or so. The fridge and freezer stay cold just fine until we reach our destination.

As to which brand to get - do not get a Frigidaire as the warranty on the fridge is voided if installed in a RV. I know this from firsthand experience. And, make sure the fridge works BEFORE you install it. Major PITA if you happen to get a one-in-a-million defective fridge. If you get something other than a Samsung, I would check with the manufacturer about the warranty. No problem with a Samsung.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:19 AM   #9

You asked where do I start? Start by measuring, depth, width, and height. Then measure it at least two more times. Before we installed our Whirlpool I swore I had the correct measurements. Then I would come up with a different number. It all worked out in the end, and it is one of the best mods we've done. I would heed some of the other thoughts as to battery bank and inverter. In our case we already had the batteries and solar, along with a PSW inverter. I would recommend a PSW just so you don't run into any electrical problems down the road.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:07 AM   #10
RV LIFE Support Team

Our Winnebago came with a Whirlpool, I don't know the model number but if you are interested I can look it up. AJmadison.com is a great resource for finding a refrigerator that will fit. Big selection on line and they have all the sizing numbers you need.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:52 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Another few thoughts.

1. When you measure your current opening take a look at your ceiling arch. Some coaches have a significant arch so the back of the refer might have a conflict with the ceiling line towards the wall if there is a significant drop. Residential refers tend to be deeper than the RV refer making this an issue. In many cases there is room to lower the platform the refer sits on to eliminate this problem.

2. When installing the refer remove the service access on the back of if before doing so. The reason is that if you leave the plate on the back and get it all snugged in place you might not be able to get to all of the screws that hold it in place. You should have reasonable access to a couple screw holes to put the plate on after installation.

3. Even if you have clearance below the ceiling line for a replacement refer, consider lowering the platform it will sit on if that platform is not floor level. We have our LP furnace below the refer and the would have put the refer about 15" above the floor. We lowered it about 4" which allows my shorter wife to get to things on the top shelf. BTW...we actually like the fact it is off the floor. Getting into the lower freezer compartment is much nicer without having to bend over.

4. Make sure you have enough room from side walls to open your refer doors. In our case we have a wall that prohibits fully opening one side in case we wanted to move shelves around. I have to remove that door if I need to rearrange shelves. Not a big deal.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge