Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2016, 04:38 PM   #1

Continued Issues with New Dometic A/C

The saga continues....

After a very pleasant evening in Moab after Gary was instructed to snip a wire on the new A/C, it seemed to work well, then on the way to Heber City, it didn't. I called ABQ C/W and spoke with the service manager and she was able to get us into the C/W at Draper but it required an unexpected overnight stay in Provo. They tinkered and fiddled with it, saying like ABQ did that they'd never had this sort of problem.

They did get it to run again but could not stop it from reading the incorrect temps. Dometic was consulted and it seemed to come down to a freezer sensor, mother board on the unit or a couple of other ailments that C/W did not have parts for. It was even suggested by C/W that we may need a new unit.

It was reading -05 for the outside temp before we even left their parking lot which means the compressor is turned off and the HP part is turned on. Fortunately, the tech there showed Gary how to run a diagnostic test which for whatever reason, has made it happy enough to work. C/W pretty much turned us over to Dometic and said work it out.

I called Dometic and was told to find our own service center and they could figure out what was wrong and maybe order parts that would get there when they got there. No further help other than to say there were no 'service centers' near us. Two different C/W locations have called multiple times and the Draper location even gave me a reference number to give Dometic so they could discuss their findings. Dometic wasn't interested.

To say I'm would be an understatement. Hopefully, we'll be in the Jackson, WY area in a few days and won't need it but Dometic isn't on my list of favorites right now. There are a few 'service centers' along our route but we hadn't planned to stay that long in one place. What are the chances of a small service center having the parts if C/W didn't? I guess I just need to gripe. Now, I'll wait for the 'what else could Dometic do?' comments.

I don't fault Camping World over this and feel the A/C unit is the problem, not the install. Both locations went out of their way to help us and try to keep us cool.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2016, 05:17 PM   #2

Karen, My response isn"t going to help solve your situation other than to say that you are not alone. I had 2 new Penguin II HP units installed on 5-20-2016 and less than 2 weeks later, a Dometic tech determined that we needed 2 more. At that point I convinced Dometic to send the new design Blizzard NXT unit instead and after waiting nearly 5 weeks, they came in but are not compatible with the Newmar roof plenum. Start the process again and now waiting for the new replacement Penguins.

If you go on the Dometic web site, there will be a list of authorized mobil techs who may be able to do a better evaluation.

Good luck.
lass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic