Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2017, 01:50 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Converter Charger Question

My 2005 Journey is equipped with a Parralax 7455T, 13.6VDC, 55 Amp converter charger that has seen better days. Output now barely keeps up with DC demands when plugged into shore power afnd has oittle or no capacity to charge house batteries. I've been limping along on the last few trips with an external trickle charger (2 amps) that help keep the house batteries up to snuff. Time to replace it with a new unit with multistage charging capacity.

My question is should I just stick with a 55 amp unit that meets the OEM spec or can I/should I consider a higher amp unit? Any particular preference on units?

PS: house batteries are new AGM deep cycle and I don't really need an inverter type unit.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2017, 02:21 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
You need to see if the wiring to/from the converter is sized appropriately for a larger unit.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #3

I have a Progressive Dynamics 4655 coming in the mail to replace my Parallax battery cooker. It gets good reviews and is a drop-in replacement.
55 amps should be plenty. Unless you have unusually high loads that is all you'll need.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:33 PM   #4

As mentioned, wire size, to the converter and and how many charging amps your batteries can handle.

AGMs are happy around 25% of AH capacity. With 200 AH of battery a 55 amp charger is all you want.

You can charge them at a higher rate but you need to keep an eye on the battery temp, while charging.

If you don't cycle them too deep, it won't matter what size charger you use. The charger will go into constant voltage mode and the amps will taper off.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:34 PM   #5

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Our old '93 Airstream came with a 55 amp and when it died I put a 65 amp in and it worked great. I kept it plugged in all the time it was stored and we only go out maybe 2 months a year in total. The batteries were still holding well after 10 years, so I would guess it did the job. The wiring was never a problem.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:55 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everybody. I should have mentioned I'll need a deck mount, enclosed & fan cooled unit. Parralax, WFCO & Powermax all have 55 amp replacement units with 3-4 stage charging.

PS: iooks like I have #8 wiring from the converter to the main bus.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Thanks everybody. I should have mentioned I'll need a deck mount, enclosed & fan cooled unit. Parralax, WFCO & Powermax all have 55 amp replacement units with 3-4 stage charging.

PS: iooks like I have #8 wiring from the converter to the main bus.
If your not going inverter charger go to a progressive dynamics model with a charge wizard.
ajohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:43 PM   #8

Progressive Dynamics! By the way, I would check or replace the charger to battery wiring on an older unit. At least check the ground bolt connection to frame for corrosion. Replace w/ 2/0 wire. Might make for a big improvement.

cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter