Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2016, 11:06 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Converter surging issue

Hello everyone, I'm sitting in an RV park plugged into 50 amp service and the breaker between the converter and the control panel trips. I reset the breaker but it trips about 20 seconds later. I reset it again and this time it stayed on, but the battery voltage was fluctuating between 12.1 and 12.9. It has since started fluctuating between 12.3 and 13.1. The converter isn't running smoothly, and of course the lights are fluctuating. It would appear that the batteries are building a charge, but this doesn't seem normal. Sounds like maybe the converter is on its last legs. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
tdyltc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 11:20 PM   #2

Sounds like you've already correctly diagnosed the problem. Do you have a good surge protector on you shore power? If not, that may be what killed converter. Also use your disconnect and then check voltage at batteries. Off chance you have a battery that blew a cell but it sounds more like the converter is toast.
azmaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:51 AM   #3

If you have a surge protector, what is the incoming voltage? We spent a couple months up in AK and some Canadian provinces, and experienced several parks with voltage problems. The most common was low volts and the surge protector cut off supply when volts dropped below 106. In another park in Alberta near Waterton Park, the volts surged between 97 and 117. Surge protector did it's job of protecting the coach and appliances. If you don't have a surge protector, I strongly advise getting one.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:22 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Take a look at your battery terminals. Sounds like this maybe suspect as a first step, then move to ground strap clean, then check wires to from converter for being tight. Then you have exhausted a no money plan. Hmmmm just thought of one more thing, how old are your batteries and testing if they are ok.

LEN
Old 09-05-2016, 10:04 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you all, but it's been a busy day. Strange as it may seem, everything appears to be back to normal. the house batteries have been maintaining a consistent 13.5 volt charge all day. I don't know what happened to trip the breaker, or to cause the surging in the first place. I do not have a surge protector, but you can bet I am going to get one. Thank you for all of your replies and suggestions; I appreciate it very much.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:55 AM   #6

Did you check the water levels in the batteries ?

Seems a common issue lately.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #7

Rexhall Owners Group
You should check the batteries and connections anyway. If your AC voltage is low the converter will draw extra amps to try and maintain the battery voltage and if your connections are not maintained the added load with over tax your converter. Invest in a voltage meter and check the voltages at outlets and batteries. If the lights start flickering check the AC voltage at an outlet, if the voltage is below 110, shut down the circuit feeding the converter and run on batteries until the AC voltage goes back up. This may save your converter from overheating and going out completely.
RolandRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:38 AM   #8

My converter/charger would trip it's 120 volt circuit breaker ; randomly ; for two years before it quit completely .
Luckily , I carry a 10 amp battery charger , because I had to rely on it to maintain battery power for three days while waiting for a new C/C to be delivered.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:47 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for all of the great advice everyone. It's 12:30 p.m. here and the volt meter is reading 13.2 volts (approx. 36 hours since issue). The batteries seem to be holding a good charge. The water levels in the batteries is good. The connections all seem ok. I am going to dig out my volt meter to check the AC at the outlets as you suggested Rolandrock. As an additional fyi, I just recently added a small solar panel to maintain the house batteries between trips and over the winter months. I also wired in a dual battery digital volt meter (A stroke of genius as it turns out.) I also ran an AC battery minder off of my 600 watt inverter that I have connected to the house batteries to maintain the starting battery. I monitor its voltage with the same meter used to monitor the house batteries.

Tags
converter