RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
could my trimetric be wrong?

New trojan batteries, new trimetric battery monitor. Everything was fine for about 2 months or so. The only problem was my trimetric never registered the percentage of charge. Yesterday, it finally went to one hundred percent, then started dropping. Overnight it went to 46%. I unplugged the converter, the batteries read 12.6 volts and stayed there. I waited an hour, did specific gravity on every cell. All were above 12.75. I used my multimeter, and got a reading of 6.28 on each battery.

This is discharging while I am plugged in. I am running air conditioning and refrigerator.

I have a 2000 Holiday Rambler, freightliner chassis.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #2

12.6 volts should give you a 95 to 100% reading for state of charge, if it wasn't working; state of charge; and now it is apparently wrong , I'd be looking for a replacement, monitor.

46% should be an indication of less than 12v, at the batteries.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #3

The reason you did not get the % full reading was that the Trimetric needs to get below the 90% first to be able to register a complete charge cycle it is explained in users instruction manual page 5 section 4. As far as the invalid values please supply what you have programmed into the meter. Mine usually is giving me >100% full and I have not been able to set my parameters to a good setup for that yet but I usually watch my AH
readings anyway to watch my usage and not the %full anyway, so to me it does not really matter. Make sure you have you AH parameter set properly for your battery bank.
okiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:43 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I put in the following values:
P1. 14.4
P2 9
P3. 450

My battery bank of 4 T 105s is rated 450

Also when driving my volts only read 12.7, should they be reading 13.5 while my alternator is charging?

Thanks for the help, by the way
Old 09-08-2013, 05:15 AM   #5

Problem may be that neither your engine alternator, nor your converter (assuming it isn't a three-stage charger) can supply the correct charging cycle to reach the point that triggers the monitor into accepting that the battery has reached the fully charged state.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I added a IQ-4 to my converter to make it a 3 stage charger. So far it's been working great. I just now unplugged the converter, and I will see how long these batteries can stay above 12.5

I just checked my meter, it has reset to 00. This the way it has been since I installed it. Only two days ago did it start registering anything. Time for me to call Bogart engineering.

I suspect my isolater solenoid is not working, because when I am running the engine the meter only showed my house batteries at 12.7
Old 09-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #7

Make sure your shunt is connected properly and that all loads are running thru the shunt if not this can cause some false readings. I have talked to Bogart they are very responsive the customer calls. Let us know what they say about your situation. There is very little info on setting these up on the internet yet so we are mostly trial and error or should it be trial by error lol.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, I left my converter unplugged for 9 hours, the voltage reading was 12.6. Obviously the batteries are OK. I'm plugged in, but the as/c is running, the refrigerator is also running. I know there are drains on the batteries from those and the CO2 & propane detectors also.

Tomorrow I will call Bogart.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #9

So what did Bogart say is you called them I am curious about your situation and the resolution if there is any?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, as usual, life happened. This is the first time we've been out at a park. We just went fulltime, and the toilet stinks of urine. The carpet seems wet by the floor, so now I'm starting to rip out carpet. Spent a lot of time arranging new insurance, and studying PDF on my toilet.

But thanks for the reminder, I'm going to call them now.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
DUH!!!! In preparation to call Bogart, I gave the whole system one last check. This time I took the meter out of the housing to make sure I hooked it up correctly. I found a ground had broken away from the terminal. Its probably my fault, the wires were so thin that when I was stripping them I cut into the wire too far.

This is so embarrassing. I drove it around to load it up of all our possessions when we were moving, and to get fuel and propane. It probably broke due to vibration.

Thank you for all your help, I reset the % of battery full to 100, and the amps reset itself to 00.2.
The number on it before was a negative 33 and going up. I should know if everything is working if the % display doesn't start counting down like a time bomb. I am hooked up to shore power where we are staying.