Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2017, 05:26 PM   #1

Exclamation Cracked Plumbing Fitting, Help Identify and Repair Tips

Was out going through the Coach's Hot Water Heater (getting ready to replace electric heating element and anode) and saw some water on the basement bay floor (next bay over which is under the Kitchen sink).

Took a peek under the sink and saw some drips from a fitting and it looks like it has a crack. I did unscrew it and screwed it back together tight and appears to have stopped, so hopefully that will not leak until I can replace that fitting.

That line (COLD) goes to the 2nd little refrig/ice maker which is not being used, don't think it works.

Looks like it's only cracked on the rear of that fitting. Not sure if plumber's tape or something else can be used vs replacing the fitting.

What is that material at the end (end inserted into copper tube)?

Can someone help me identify that fitting, perhaps provide a link as well?

It seems I have to remove the copper elbow, is that just crimped on the hose and do I just have to loosen that copper around the hose to remove?

Tips and suggestions for repair/replacement appreciated.

That material on the end is more white than yellow:

1996 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2017, 05:31 PM   #2

Also, that line (above) goes to a 'T' which has this line that goes now where. I should probably get a cap for it to close it off. Any help with that cap piece?

Water never has come out and leaked which is surprising. Perhaps something is in there.

1996 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
Old 11-10-2017, 06:33 PM   #3

If you are talking about the yellow plastic part in the third picture from the bottom. The yellow plastic part is a compression ring. The smaller part centers the fitting in the pipe nipple so it can have a ding or small defect. The shoulder seats on the pipe and is compressed by the outer white ring.

Those fittings are usually only hand tight as the plastic does not take the kind of force a wrench can deliver. If you tightened it and it stopped leaking that may well be sufficient.

Not sure what is cracked.

That kind of setup is used when there is something else that can be installed needing the water line. Assuming that you don't anticipate adding anything you can clean out the extra bits back to where they tap into the needed parts. At that point you can replace the T or whatever it comes off from with a sharkbite inline splice or figure out what you need to cut and cap the stub.

Off hand I don't know who makes that specific fitting so I can't give you specifications on a new one. I'd leave it alone unless it started leaking again. Now you know where to check. If it did start I'd replace it with either a sharkbite or PEX crimp fitting. Probably whatever Lowes or Home Depot had on hand.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
outer white ring.
The rear of the outer white ring (that you turn to loosen or tighten) has a small crack. may have to download the picture and use your computer's photo app with zoom to see it better.

If I have to replace the outer white ring, should I replace the compression ring/tip (the yellow color is not correct in the picture, it's more cream/white color) as well?

It seems like it is not leaking now after I took it apart and back together, hand tightened.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
Also, that line (above) goes to a 'T' which has this line that goes now where. I should probably get a cap for it to close it off. Any help with that cap piece?

Water never has come out and leaked which is surprising. Perhaps something is in there.

We can ignore my Post #2 above, I believe that white threaded end is a plug to cap that line off.

Still curious about identifying that outer white/cream ring part that your twist to tighten/loosen.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:40 AM   #6

I'm curious myself. The outer and inner rings are probably a set. It's a compression fitting but there are many types of compression fittings so it's needle in a haystack time when searching. Maybe someone else has seen them on the shelf.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:48 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with notwhermark, cut it out and replace with shark bite fitting, you can see and order them on amazon, 1/2 inch should be correct size. If it’s an older coach like ours the rubber or poly seals in those plastic compression fittings wear out or compress over time. I’ve used shark bites for the last 5 years or so with no problem. You can also get the plastic compression fittings to use.
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:28 PM   #8

Plumbing fitting

CoachStreamr,

if you are needing just the rubber cream colored washer, you can take it to an Ace Hardware or similar and find a replacement. Very inexpensive, about $.58.

If you need the entire fitting because the hand tightened nut is cracked, I agree with LookAtUSNow about using a Sharkbite fitting.

Just go behind the existing fitting past the edge of the crimp ring. find the edge of the copper and cut behind it squarely. Press on new fitting firmly and install.

Done!
Old 11-12-2017, 07:46 PM   #9

I don't know if that gray -(blue line) pipe is pex? looks almost pre-pex. Might want to stick with a crimp on threaded end fitting (in a straight) then use a braided 12 inch sink supply hose with the 5/8 female on both sides.

That will give you some slop to assemble it.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga SL, On the move to a 2014 Allegro 36LA.Trek pure Trike,electric, 50 mile range, the get everything runner.To do list 10K hitch Remco driveshaft, Blue Ox E450, SMI brakes Pending toad.
trx430ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
I don't know if that gray -(blue line) pipe is pex? looks almost pre-pex. Might want to stick with a crimp on threaded end fitting (in a straight) then use a braided 12 inch sink supply hose with the 5/8 female on both sides.

That will give you some slop to assemble it.
I would agree that the grey pipe may not be pex. I had problems connecting it with pex trying to use a standard pex connector and crimp rings, not knowing they were different. Shark bite should work. Here is a link to some info about the difference, https://www.thespruce.com/polybutylene-pipe-2718633.

Best of luck with it.

Steve
Old 11-12-2017, 08:31 PM   #11

So you guys don't think those whitish knobs/fittings that you twist to tighten / loosen are available anymore?

Old 11-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #12

Quote:
So you guys don't think those whitish knobs/fittings that you twist to tighten / loosen are available anymore?

Yes there still available/used but you have to change/remove the whole fitting. to replace it.
PRO-BILT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:45 PM   #13

I'll keep searching for a supplier (for new old stock or used), if anyone has a supplier or two link and/or model #/Kit # info, please post.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:06 PM   #14

Quote:
I'll keep searching for a supplier (for new old stock or used), if anyone has a supplier or two link and/or model #/Kit # info, please post..
The thing is, even if you find a replacement fitting, there is not enough slack in the line after you cut the old fitting. You are going to be about 3/4 an inch short no matter the fitting you chose.

Hence why I gave up on fittings, and went to a hose to make up the distance, and ease of service.

This way you could cut 6 inches back, and use flex hose for install slop, but not too much slop. Flex 5/8 is available in 90 end fittings, but not seen much in big or small box stores.

The 90 degree end keeps to factory or better flush mount, keeping it out of the way of damage.

This is the reason, good contractors, use supply houses. And fall short in the isles of Depot, Lowes or ACE.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga SL, On the move to a 2014 Allegro 36LA.Trek pure Trike,electric, 50 mile range, the get everything runner.To do list 10K hitch Remco driveshaft, Blue Ox E450, SMI brakes Pending toad.
trx430ex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, compression, crack, fitting, manifold, plumbing, polybutylene, repair, sharkbite