Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2017, 06:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.smith View Post
I have the standalone version
Thanks,

I think my inverter is also the Xantrex and maybe the 1000 too. I was afraid the standalone wouldn't work. I would like to keep it simple.

Looks like I may be shopping for this unit instead of the Onan.

Larry W.
mrf1002u is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2017, 06:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Part number is ME-AGS-S, also have a network version which requires a magnum inverter charger installed, part number ME-AGS-N. I have the -S version installed as I have a Xantrex inverter, not a magnum. If you have a magnum inverter charger, you would want to go with the -N version.

Just so we are clear, the EC-30 (hardwired version) is a great system, the wireless EC-30W is the one I found to be unreliable.
LOL,

Sorry for the extra posts, I missed this one in the lineup. I will also look at the EC-30. I would likely pick the easier to install version.

Larry W.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:24 AM   #17

I'm thinking the Onan is a no go. I will stick with the one you have.
From their site....

"Can Energy Command 30 be added to an existing RV?

Energy Command 30 (EC-30) is a very affordable option if you're purchasing a new RV, but it gets more expensive if you wish to add it to your existing vehicle. Connecting all the features of the EC-30 requires running wires from the air conditioner, transfer switch, house batteries, chassis batteries, safety input and generator back to the location of the control. Depending on the specific design of your RV and which features you wish to connect, it will take a technician 8 full hours to properly install an EC-30. If you're looking to purchase an EC-30 for your existing RV, have the dealer quote on installation as well so you know the full cost of adding this feature. Cummins Onan engineers do not recommend RV owners to attempt to install the EC-30 on their own as it requires knowledge of electrical codes to safely and correctly install all the wires."
Old 03-07-2017, 06:36 AM   #18

The standalone version is inverter agnostic, it does not care if you have an inverter or, if you do, who's makes it. It will even work if your inverter is a magnum.

The network version takes advantage of the existing control network standard with a magnum inverter making the setup and operation of the ags easier.

As far as installation is concerned, if you have an existing remote start button with an hour meter nearby, all of the signals / connections required will be located there. The main unit can be installed in an out of the way location as long as you can still get to the potentiometers to set / adjust them.

Once setup, the unit is enabled / disabled with the switch. The switch contains a temperature sensor so it wants to be in the main living area sensing the average temperature of the coach. After you decide on your mounting locations the hardest part is finding a route for the wiring.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:53 AM   #19

Quote:
The standalone version is inverter agnostic, it does not care if you have an inverter or, if you do, who's makes it. It will even work if your inverter is a magnum.

The network version takes advantage of the existing control network standard with a magnum inverter making the setup and operation of the ags easier.

As far as installation is concerned, if you have an existing remote start button with an hour meter nearby, all of the signals / connections required will be located there. The main unit can be installed in an out of the way location as long as you can still get to the potentiometers to set / adjust them.

Once setup, the unit is enabled / disabled with the switch. The switch contains a temperature sensor so it wants to be in the main living area sensing the average temperature of the coach. After you decide on your mounting locations the hardest part is finding a route for the wiring.
The magnum would be my choice I believe, but I may have hit a stumbling block. The installation info says that the genny must have an automatic choke. My coach has a "prime" feature, for lack of a better word. On the Thor panel that has the generator start button and other coach related things like the inverter display etc. etc. You push the generator start rocker switch to the off position to prime it (gas engine) for a few seconds and then to the on position to start it. Although I have had it for only about a month, I have never started the genny without first priming it and even then it has usually taken two attempts before it fires and continues to run. Wondering if it is even possible to convert it to an automatic choke. If not, then this may be a no go too.

Larry W.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:41 AM   #20

Your profile does not state the age of your coach, but if it is fairly recent you most likely have an Onan 4kw or 5.5kw gas or LP generator. Both of these have automatic chokes. The prime function simply runs the electric fuel pump to ensure the float bowl is full before trying to start the generator.

I do not have the document handy, but working from memory, the starting profile that the ags uses for the onan gas generators first primes the engine for some number of seconds, then engages the starter until power is found on the hour meter line signaling that the generator is running. When the run time is satisfied, it sends a stop signal, shutting the generator down. It will attempt to start the generator either three or four times before giving up.

If you are starting you generator regularly the system will work fine. I have had mine require two start attempts after a long shutdown / storage period.

A couple of things I recommend with any gas generator;

1. Run the generator regularly, this helps with preventing the carb from getting clogged with crap from the ethanol in the fuel available now a days. Just as important though, running the unit with a load will heat up and dry out the windings in the generator, preventing premature failure. We live in pretty humid areas so this is more important for us than it might be for others. I run mine monthly for at least an hour with as close to a 75% load as I can manage.

2. Use fuel stabilizer if the coach is going to sit for a while and drain the carb if you are so inclined. I do not drain my carb, but am religious with the fuel treatment if the coach is not going to be used for a while.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Your profile does not state the age of your coach, but if it is fairly recent you most likely have an Onan 4kw or 5.5kw gas or LP generator. Both of these have automatic chokes. The prime function simply runs the electric fuel pump to ensure the float bowl is full before trying to start the generator.

I do not have the document handy, but working from memory, the starting profile that the ags uses for the onan gas generators first primes the engine for some number of seconds, then engages the starter until power is found on the hour meter line signaling that the generator is running. When the run time is satisfied, it sends a stop signal, shutting the generator down. It will attempt to start the generator either three or four times before giving up.

If you are starting you generator regularly the system will work fine. I have had mine require two start attempts after a long shutdown / storage period.

A couple of things I recommend with any gas generator;

1. Run the generator regularly, this helps with preventing the carb from getting clogged with crap from the ethanol in the fuel available now a days. Just as important though, running the unit with a load will heat up and dry out the windings in the generator, preventing premature failure. We live in pretty humid areas so this is more important for us than it might be for others. I run mine monthly for at least an hour with as close to a 75% load as I can manage.

2. Use fuel stabilizer if the coach is going to sit for a while and drain the carb if you are so inclined. I do not drain my carb, but am religious with the fuel treatment if the coach is not going to be used for a while.

I do need to update the profile...if I can find where. LOL

2017 Thor A.C.E. 30.3
The genny is an OnanŽ RV QG 4000 Gas Generator, per the website.
I do not have the 50 amp option on the coach, just the 30 amp.

Great info! Glad to hear that the genny should have all the right things for the AGS, and I was actually wondering if it made multiple start attempts, so good to know that too.

If cost was no issue, I would run Ethanol Free in the coach, just for the genny's sake. LOL I run it in all of my small engines now. Florida humidity!

I will take your advice and exercise the genny monthly. I would guess the coach AC would be an appropriate load. ??? I will likely also keep stabilizer in it all the time, so I don't forget. It isn't pricey enough to sweat using it all the time and has no ill affects that I know of. I already buy it for all of the small engine gas anyway, even with the ethanol free gas.

Really appreciate the info and help. You seem to know these things well. Looks like I will be looking for a good buy on the Magnum after all.

Larry W.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #22

P.S. I found my Profile and adjusted it. Also added a sig.

Larry W.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf1002u View Post
P.S. I found my Profile and adjusted it. Also added a sig.

Larry W.
Larry, if you do the magnum auto start install, can you please do a write up about it.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Larry, if you do the magnum auto start install, can you please do a write up about it.

Thanks
I can give it a shot, but the install may be a ways off.

Larry W.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf1002u View Post
I do need to update the profile...if I can find where. LOL

2017 Thor A.C.E. 30.3

The genny is an Onan[emoji768] RV QG 4000 Gas Generator, per the website.

I do not have the 50 amp option on the coach, just the 30 amp.

Great info! Glad to hear that the genny should have all the right things for the AGS, and I was actually wondering if it made multiple start attempts, so good to know that too.

I will take your advice and exercise the genny monthly. I would guess the coach AC would be an appropriate load. ??? I will likely also keep stabilizer in it all the time, so I don't forget. It isn't pricey enough to sweat using it all the time and has no ill affects that I know of.

Larry W.

Current coach is a 2016 Fleetwood Flair 29T, pretty comparable to yours... A good load for the generator is the A/C plus the electric water heater if you have one, if not running the A/C will give you about 50% load.

As far as the stabilizer goes, you can run it all the time if you want but it really is not necessary. I keep a bottle of Pri-G treatment in the coach and when I fill it up after a trip I treat it then. I don't get too concerned unless the coach will be sitting for more than two weeks.

If there is anything else I can help with, let me know.

Jeff
Old 03-07-2017, 06:28 PM   #26

Thanks J.Smith

Larry W.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:02 PM   #27

So,

I DID set up a an ebay watch for an EC-W30 before deciding the Magnum would be better. So I get an alert at noon today that one showed up and it was gone in like 4 hours and sold for almost $450.00 !!!

Wow

Larry W.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:50 PM   #28

I don't believe they were that expensive when they were in production. Hope the buyer has better luck with it than I did.

Tags
cummins