Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cure for smells in refrigerator/freezer?

I have a box of the old baking soda in both the refrigerator and freezer doors of our fridge. Since the weather is getting warmer and we're getting ready to spend a week at one of our local mountain lakes, just wondering if there is another product (perhaps something with charcoal in it or?) that helps to keep the refrigerator/freezer compartments smelling fresh? Maybe it's just time to replace the baking soda boxes, as the fridge could smell a bit fresher and I've thoroughly cleaned out both sections.

Any products you like for this purpose?

Susan and Jim
'00 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision 37ft and '97 Suzuki Sidekick toad
with our Westie girls - Chelsea and Chloe
Loving the retired life in beautiful Oregon
meant2shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
With the fridge off, wipe the interior with a paper towel soaked in pure vanilla extract, not imitation vanilla extract and leave the paper towel in the closed fridge for a day or so.

This works with coolers and ice chests also.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Sadly, we can only camp a few weeks over the summer (middle school/work).
So, when we put the camper away in between trips, we leave the ref and freezer doors open - to avoid smells and mold. If we have to move the camper, we have to remember to close the doors - else they bang into things.
I wish that there was a good product that would grab all 4 doors but keep them slightly open.
KSDP_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSDP_PA View Post
Sadly, we can only camp a few weeks over the summer (middle school/work).
So, when we put the camper away in between trips, we leave the ref and freezer doors open - to avoid smells and mold. If we have to move the camper, we have to remember to close the doors - else they bang into things.
I wish that there was a good product that would grab all 4 doors but keep them slightly open.

Camco Mfg Inc - Fridge Door Stay - Refrigerator Accessories - Camping World
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The standard method is to clean the unit completly.. Now if you store it with the door closed you are going to need a steam cleaner (Been there, Done that)

Then wash it down with baking soda in water.. A good handfull per bowl or pan of water.

Then ... Well, I've never heard of Vanalla.. but why not?
Old 06-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #6

KZ RV Club
I got tired of the baking soda boxes and purchased some sturdy small rubber maid containers. John drilled holes in the lids, and now it is easy to refresh the baking soda in each container (4 door refer so we have 3 baking sodas). Since we have a pool at home, I buy baking soda in a big bag from our local Sam's Club anyway.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
To keep you fridge doors open, try sliding a chunk of swimming noodle on the section between the doors.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Fresh ground coffee is a good deodorant. Works in closets and on dark carpeting for pet stains too. On light carpeting put some in a coffee filter before placing on the dry stain.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
I keep some small kitchen sponges in the freezer door pockets and wedge them in the doors to keep them slightly open but secure when storing the rig.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote