Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Dead Dirt Devil

G'morning: Hey, do any of you guys know if there is another fuse somewhere on (or inside) the Dirt Devil (model CV950/CV950LE) cent. vac unit itself? I checked the grounded electrical outlet that the unit (red Dirt Devil box) plugs into and I've got power to that outlet.

What happened was I had unplugged the vac hose from the cent. vac wall outlet during cleaning and when re-inserting it about a three minutes later, the vac DID come on when I lifted lid but immediately went dead when I inserted the hose into the receptacle and now it won't restart!! Could it be the little switch on the vac trap door outlet ?? I wonder if I bumped that switch when reinserting the hose. If so, how do I fix THAT?

I've read the manual and, after waiting overnight, I DID unplug and replug in the grounded electrical cord to reset the thermal protector that instructions indicate is installed, and which I was hoping had tripped out from over heated motor, BUT, nothing! Is there another fuse inside the unit?? Thanks. Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
My Dirt Devil central vacuum system plugs into an outlet in a roadside bay. This outlet is protected by a 115 vac breaker in the electrical cabinet in the bathroom. If you have no voltage at the outlet the problem would be up stream from there, possibly a tripped 115 vac breaker. Once you have reestablished voltage at the outlet and it still won't operate then you have to troubleshoot from there.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Bob: Thanks, although as mentioned, I DID confirm that I have power to that outlet in the roadside bay which the Dirt Devil is plugged into. I'm beginning to think that it's the switch behind the trap door on the wall fixture into which I plug in the vac. hose that has the problem. Gotta take that wall fixture apart to check connections there. Apparently there are a couple of low voltage wires connecting that switch to the main vac. motor relay down in the bay campartment. Just wondered whether anyone knew if there was another fuse (in addition to the thermal coupler) inside the Dirt Devil unit. Thanks again though. Steve
Old 04-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #4

Steve, we had the same problem. You take the back cover off of the rear of the red central vac box. There are 2 screws you remove and the internal guts will come out, you unplug the mother board. Call dirt devil they will send you a updated motherboard to solve the problem with easy instructions on how to install it.

Larry
lnwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:54 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Inwilson: Hey, thanks. Will try that next I guess or wait till my June appt. back at the factory. How much was that "mother board", and how long did it take to get it from Dirt Devil? Thanks again. Steve
Old 04-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #6

Steve, there wasn't a charge. Seems like it was sent out in about 4 days. Has worked great ever since. Have A Great Day!

Larry
06 MADP
lnwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Hey Chick-before you go the circuit board route you need to pull that cover plate and check the connection. When you insert the vac hose, an electrical connection is made, telling the motor to turn on. You can also find these wires in the basement, running into the vac unit itself. Try short circuiting them to see if the power comes on.

I lost my cover/switch plate and with a trip to a local vacuum store I found another plate and installed it. Be careful as there are a couple of different means by which these vac hoses make the circuit connection.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
rex

Monaco Owners Club
No sure, but I think I remember a fuse on the Dirt Devil case. It was the twist out type if indeed it is there.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:53 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
slabman & Rex: Thanks. Will check out your suggestions before ordering "mother board." Steve