Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #1

Defective battery disconnect solenoid - bypass longterm

At the risk of adding another thread to this subject I have one specific question: now that I have located the problem and installed a jumper cable across the terminals of the solenoid can I leave the jumper in place indefinitely? My rv repair guy (JR's RV in Sedro Wooley, WA) patiently talked me through locating the problem and effecting the repair ( $6.00 for a 4 gauge starter cable) and we now have 12 volts in the coach again. He did order the solenoid but he said I don't need to replace it now. He did say that he wouldn't sent a rig out of the shop without the solenoid replaced. That is probably a liability concern.

Any comments on leaving the 4 gauge jumper in permanently will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #2

Replace it asrp

As soon as reasonably possible.

It is dofer...do fer now...
Old 12-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
You actually don't need the cable, you could have just moved the two cables to the same stud on the solenoid. You should replace as soon as possible, although it shouldn't cause any problems. The only down side is you have to disconnect a cable to cut the battery power to the coach.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My "Salesman Switch Solenoid" aka Battery Cut-Off, has been bypassed for over 9 years now. AFAIAC, it will never be replaced.

I never used the damn thing and the solenoid is a HIGH failure device. How many times do you want to replace it?

Why replace it if you don't use it?

If you really need to shut down all power to either the House and/or the Chassis Batteries, then use the Disconnect Switches located in one of your electrical compartments.

Depending on the brand of your disconnect switches, they could be an accident waiting to happen. The defective ones are made by BEP. If your coach has those, I would HIGHLY recommend removing them ASAP and replacing them with PERKO switches.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect