Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #1

diesel generator

i have a 1994 HR MH i have a full fuel tank and just had it serviced (new filter). when i start the gen it runs great for about 1/2 hr then runs rough and stops. i let it set over night an d i does the same. please help.
richardreyn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Have you checked your coolant level? Mine would do something similar and what was happening was it would get hot and shut down. I had a very slow leak at a hose that I had not caught and over time I lost enough coolant to cause the overheating.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
What is the level of your fuel tank? If the tank has a significant amount of contaminate in it it could be drawing some fuel(partially clogging the filter) through until it can not get enough to keep running. When motor is first started the fuel pump will fill the fuel system up but will run until it cannot keep up.
patty98311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:33 AM   #4

Sounds like a fuel issue, on a coach that old you may have deteriorated fuel lines sucking air, bad elec fuel pump loose fittings. These kind of problems on older M/Hs can make you pull your hair out and flatten you wallet as well. Good luck
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
Another vote for checking the coolant level, happened to me last year. Might also see what other safety devices shut down the generator and check there.
PandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #6

Same thing, a full service, oil, coolant, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter. Fixed the problem for me.
I wish they put a engine temp gauge on these things.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #7

The fact that the genny will run for a half hour before stopping IMO points away from fuel being the problem. Half an hour sounds a little long run time for overheating problems but could well be the problem. Most gennys have a low oil shut off and tho stated it was serviced does it have proper oil level. Oil level sensor could be getting flaky
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote