RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2019, 06:31 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Dishwasher recommendation

We are planning on installing a dishwasher in our 2010 Tiffin Phaeton. (Don't bother trying to talk me out of it, the DW has made this a non-negotiable modification.)

In any case, a dishwasher was an option when this coach was made and I am interested in your experience and recommendation with regard to adding a dishwasher. It will have to be a drawer type under the stove.

12amNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2019, 06:38 PM   #2
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I am sorry I cant give you the name but it is a unit that is in most coaches - German I think. Here is a picture (I sold the coach). My wife turned her nose up at it first but later loved it. You can store dishes for 2 or 3 days then run it. Quiet and efficient. I found it actually used less water than when my wife hand washed the dishes and I could use it when dry camping as it would put les water into my grey water tank. Good luck and enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dishwasher.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	235046  

Old 02-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #3

My wife loves the Fisher Paykel Dish Drawer we installed.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:34 AM   #4
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
That is the one - Name I couldn't remember.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #5

Tiffin installed the Fisher Paykel drawer type dishwasher as OEM in their coaches. As stated above it uses less water than washing by hand, cleans the dishes spotless, and is very quiet in operation. The only drawback is it is limited in capacity so large pots and pans may not fit, otherwise works great. Ours has worked flawlessly for 6 years.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is the model of Fisher and Paykel that came with it coach, we've been happy with it.

Fisher Paykel DD24SAX9 24" Drawers Full Console Dishwasher in Stainless Steel
by 1sso
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQGDIAR..._we1zCb0DM52BB

2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D
tscarps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:58 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I Bought one off Amazon and installed it in a 5ver that we have. I took out the stove, installed a cooktop only and slid the dishwasher into the empty area of the now missing stove. Had it all plumbed in and connected in about two hours. Took a bit longs to get all the facia trim cut and installed. The one we installed was a portable countertop unit but fit nicely into the spot. It is good for two people and we run it once a day most times.
Still trying to decide if I want to go through it all again with the motorhome or just use paper plates.
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:24 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have the Fisher Paykel in our 2011 phaeton. Was dealer installed by the previous owner. We like it and use it often.

One caveat. It doesn't like the MSW inverter - slow continual beep. I assume if OEM would not be on a inverted circuit. But easy workaround - I put a switched power strip under the sink to easily turn off the dishwasher when not using.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:38 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
We have the Fisher Paykel in our 2011 phaeton. Was dealer installed by the previous owner. We like it and use it often.

One caveat. It doesn't like the MSW inverter - slow continual beep. I assume if OEM would not be on a inverted circuit. But easy workaround - I put a switched power strip under the sink to easily turn off the dishwasher when not using.
Interesting. We have a Xantrex inverter and I wonder if we'll have the same issue.

We have decided to install a Fisher & Paykel. I just need to measure the space to see if we can get the tall model to fit.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:20 AM   #10

Well my DW does an adequate job. Only downside, is she then rewards herself with a few glasses of vino. Doing the math, I would have been ahead by installing the Dishwasher...

We'd plan on installing the mentioned drawer DW in our current rig. Mostly because it uses less water. But when I started negotiating with the DW on placement, I determined that the only location she found acceptable - would not have too good for actually usage. So, it did not get installed in one of my outside basement storage areas!!! Ours came down to Pots & Pans storage (Which I feel we may have just a few too many of...) vs Dishwasher.

So we limp along with me doing the dishes the majority of the time. Especially when boon docking, as the DW can use 5 gallons of water just brushing her teeth!

I was in one coach, a privately modified bus, and the owner had installed two of the drawer units side by side. He had a little tag that said 'Clean' and that was moved to the 'clean' dish washer. He never unpacked them, and used the dishes in the clean until just about empty. He said he would move over a few pieces of clean items into the dirty one, and wash it, when he felt it was time. he converted one of the upper cabinets that would have normally held the dishes, into a wine storage rack... And was happy with how he had set things up.

OP - Best of luck on you install!
Smitty
Old 03-03-2019, 10:22 PM   #11

I put a Fisher and Paykel drawer dishwasher in my fifth wheel. I love that dishwasher. Took out the gas oven cooktop out installed a shelf and stand pipe and a new corian counter to match existing counters. Slid in the dishwasher where the oven used to be and installed a portable induction cooktop to replace the open flame gas cooktop. I had to also bring in 4 new electrical circuits to power new cooktop, dishwasher, and a new convection electric oven that sits on the counter when in use and is put away in a slide out tray cabinet. I also replaced a dinky microwave with a newer convection microwave oven. I now have dedicated circuits for all my appliances and thankfully did away with any cooktop with open flames. As a retired building manager at UC Berkeley in Civil Engineering, I always worried most about fire breaking out in our materials sciences testing floor and in my own trailer. There is no time if a fire breaks out in a trailer, motorhome etc. to fight it and get out. You must just leave at once and walk away with your life. There is no time to fight fire in an enclosed trailer or motorhome as you will be overcome by smoke inhalation. I did what I could to minimize a chance of a fire starting by eliminating open flames inside the trailer. As it turns out, the inductive cooktop actually cooks faster then gas and itís safe with only steel cookware getting hot.
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:28 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you everyone for your input. We have decided to install the Fisher & Paykel dishdrawer. It will fit in the cabinet space perfectly and we like the idea of using so little water.

Tags
dish, dishwasher