Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2017, 03:48 AM   #1

Does a GFI just go bad

The other day i noticed that my outside plugs didnt work, so i checked and the GFI in the bathroom was tripped. I reset it and all was well and worked fine the rest of the day. Then yesterday it tripped again, reset it and fine.

Now it tripped again and now when i go to reset it, it keeps tripping right away. Do GFI's just go bad? There has not been any change in any electrical at all.

If so are they all the same, nothing special for RV right?
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HD cooling
Durango Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2017, 04:16 AM   #2
YC1

Yes they can. They have electronic components that fail.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:34 AM   #3
paz

Yes, GFCI receptacles can go bad. When they do, they exhibit the symptom you describe - they won't reset.

No, the ones in RVs aren't any different from the ones you get at your local hardware or home improvement store.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:47 AM   #4

Mine went out in March. Everything was fine at home then we drove 300 miles to the coast and it was bad. $13 at Walmart and 30 minutes to replace.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:57 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dave View Post
Now it tripped again and now when i go to reset it, it keeps tripping right away. Do GFI's just go bad? There has not been any change in any electrical at all.

If so are they all the same, nothing special for RV right?
I would get a GFI tester and test it as well as a new GFI 15AMP plug. Tester is low cost and good to have and can be used on any plug
https://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instru...ds=gfci+tester

Newer GFI's can go bad and since they look for very small Ma leakage not that uncommon

Good Luck
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Yes, GFCI receptacles can go bad. When they do, they exhibit the symptom you describe - they won't reset.

No, the ones in RVs aren't any different from the ones you get at your local hardware or home improvement store.
Some are as they are often boxless open wired with wing clamps
Old 06-18-2017, 01:00 PM   #7

Sometimes there is actually a ground fault. It may be trying to save your life.

Had it been raining or have you been washing it ?

Are there things plugged into it that may be suspect ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:12 PM   #8

Yep. Happened in our S&B home with one that was only 3-5 years old.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #9

I replaced all mine and my receptacles just for ease of mind... since mine is a 1997 year model that is 20 yrs of outdated electronics.... my mind that equals fire hazard....
Adamsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:50 PM   #10

I attended a fire marshal class a few years ago where an electrical engineer taught us about ground fault circuit interrupters. He said that there were two kinds of gfci's, those that had failed and those that soon will. I guess that he knew what he was talking about.
Dixie Mopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The ones in my RV are original, 17 plus years.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Sometimes there is actually a ground fault. It may be trying to save your life.

Had it been raining or have you been washing it ?

Are there things plugged into it that may be suspect ?
Thats what i thought at first, so i checked around the bins and stuff saw nothing, no have not been washing it. Ill get a new one tomorrow.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:25 PM   #13

They are not all the same folks, i went and got mine at wallmart and got the least expensive and got home and the old one is 20 amps and this one is 15 amp. I wish someone would have shared just a bit more info here because i got the wrong one.

Be sure to check the amps on the back before you buy one, somewhere on the outlet it will say the amps. Im gonna use this one anyway because the largest thing i use is less than 15 amps and its just for the bathroom and outside plugs anyway, maybe the toaster but thats it. It should be fine and 15amps is safer anyway.

But just dont forget to check the amps before you get one. I hope this helps others.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:53 PM   #14

UPDATE: well this one is blowing too, when i hit reset it shuts off and the second time i hit reset it blew the 15 amp breaker in the box. So either i have a short somewhere or i really do need a 20 amp as maybe the GFI needs to be more than the breaker is.

Else ill have to backtrack this last week and think about where i put any kind of screw in any of the walls inside or outside. Nothing is ever simple in my book, i swear.

I took a pic before i removed the old one. It looks like white to white side and black of the same wire goes opposite the white one of the same wire.

Another UPDATE: OK so i was able to isolate the hot wires coming into the GFI. Just so you know there are two dif halfs of the GFI, the LINE side which is the power HOT going into the GFI, then the LOAD side which is the power being sent from the GIF to another receptable.

So it works if i hook up the LINE side but not when i hook up the LINE side and the load side. So that tells me that the LINE in HOT is OK no defects there, the issue is somewhere in the wires going to the other outlets and thats ok because at least there is no power to them right now as those two wires on the GFI are not connected.

So there are only a few outlets on that circut, so what ill do is visit each one and see if i messed with it or not and check it out anyway just in case. They are easy to find because they are the ones that dont work right now.... hope this helps others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0001 (12) (Small).JPG
Views:	56
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	165750