Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #1

Does adding fans help extend life of fridge

I have a Norcold 1200 that is 12 yrs old. So far it seems to work pretty good. I haven't noticed any real issues with cooling and I'd like to keep it that way. So, I'm wondering about the fans behind the unit to keep the air circulating around the condenser fins will help extend the life of the unit and reduce the likelihood of a fire.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #2

There are several good posts on this subject if you do a search on it.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fans

Fans won't reduce the liklihood of a fire. If you're worried about fire you can either replace the cooling unit with an Amish coil and/or install an automatic halon system.

Did the recall even apply to 12 year old 1200's?

Hmmmmmm, I wonder if anyone has ever realized that in the case of a fire fans moving more air through the system would probably be the worst thing that could happen?
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #4

I have done several searches and read most of the stickies and other articles on the web regarding all the RV fridge fixes, tune ups, recalls, etc... and I have yet to see anything that directly addresses my question.
They all say that fans help with the efficiency but I can't find any reference to whether or not the fans will help extend the life of the cooling unit or reduce the risk of fire. I have found that one of the reasons a unit fails is due to over heating of the ammonia fluid so it stands to reason that the fans will help reduce the likelihood of overheating but still no direct reference to installing fans will extend the life and reduce the likelihood of fire.

Care to provide a link to the answer?
Old 07-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Hmmmmmm, I wonder if anyone has ever realized that in the case of a fire fans moving more air through the system would probably be the worst thing that could happen?
I have considered that. My question wasn't if a fire occured would the fans help feed more oxygen to the fire, thats a given. What I was wondering was if by adding fans you reduce the likelihood of a fire occuring in the first place.

FWIW, I called David Force over at rvcoolingwarehouse and he said that increasing the air flow across the condenser will definately help with not only the fridge working more efficiently but it will also prolong the life of the unit and indirectly help reduce the likelihood of a fire.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The fans are DC and the wires would burn before feeding the fire to any appreciable degree me thinks. And anything that helps cool or otherwise improves the operational efficiency of anything as bound to extend it's life to some extent.

Whether enhanced efficiency from fans will prevent a fire is anybody's guess. If we could predict the fire we would turn it off before it happens.

The halon fire extinguisher is a good bet and I have one even thought I have the Amish installed. There is electricity there and when on gas, a flame. So for safest and a little money why not?
Steve
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge