Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #1

Dometic 1402 drain tube replacement

The upper drain tube on my Dometic 1402 has become brittle and cracked and silicone repairs are no longer possible. Has anybody replaced this tube or figured out a repair that would not necessitate removal of the refrigerator or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and remove it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
A photo would sure help. I think one of the coaches we have had over the years had a tube that carried the condensation from the fridge down and into a small 'trough' that was heated by the inner workings of the fridge (not sure what that is called) Anyway, this water ran down the tube and was heated and evaporated in the trough. It was nothing more than a 1/4 inch plastic tube. I expect you can but it in bulk at Home Depot or Lowes. Yours is probably completely different but that might be a place to start looking.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #3

There is a youtube video on this repair by a company I think in Tenn who have several very good videos on RV repair out there. Look it up and do it right. The tube needs the drilled plug in the end for bugs and it needs a loop or trap curve in it to prevent warm air from going up the tube into the refer. If you don't put the trap curve in the tube you will see higher temps in your refer to the tune of as high as 10 degrees (mid 40s) Water collects in the trap and keeps the heat out.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #4

Cliffy, thanks for turning me onto the UTUBE videos. I had no idea they were available. It appears that the only real repair would be to pull the refer and replace the tube with vinyl. We are leaving shortly for several weeks and I don't want to go through that right now. As I was staring at the broken tube, it occurred to me that as a temp solution I can to get some 3/8" od tubing and attempt to push it up as far as it will go into the existing tube and silicone the two together. Hopefully this will solve the problem.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #5

Not a bad idea for a quick fix just make sure you can get a water trap loop or curve and some kind of insect screen Make sure the trap and outlet is lower than the refer drain inside or else the water will drain into the refer before it leaves the ice box.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #6

Wow! Cliffy, the drain tube trap is exactly what's going on with my Dometic's temperature. I found a crack in the lower end of the tube. So I wrapped elec. tape around it. But in so doing I straightened it out. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the temp's. were going over 40 degrees all of a sudden. The only bad thing is that I was going to replace it with a residential, and now don't have an excuse to do so. Thanks again Cliffy!!!
Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #7

Thanks for the comment. I too had a warm box but only once in a while and in researching it many nights on the net I found the utbe videos on the drain tube and thought my problem would be cured, UNFORTUNATELY my refer was a 35 year old Elixer and didn't have that system. I did find that my door would not close completely sometimes due to needing another washer to help lift it up and over the bottom latch fitting. After adding a washer mine closes completely now and will drop the refer box to the very low 30s and sometimes freeze items in the box if I don't turn the coldness knob down. Mine works fine even in direct sunlight at 100 degrees outside temps.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I also have a 1402 with a brittle drain. There is not enough room to fit my hand and arm between the exterior wall and the back of the fridge to disconnect the old, let alone run a new one and wire tie it down so it does not get near anything warm.
I am hoping when I finally decide to replace it I can disconnect everything and slide it out a few inches and get to what I need. If not, and I have to remove it, there is just a few inches of clearance in the area it is mounted in to get out out. I am thinking of using a furniture dolly and cutting some 2 x 4's and adding them to the surface to get it the height of the cabinet the fridge is mounted in.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Here's what I put in. Got a length from Home Depot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-08_14-02-35_66.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	45211   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-08_14-02-43_132.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	523.2 KB
ID:	45212  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-08_14-03-16_304.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	584.7 KB
ID:	45213   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-08_14-24-31_175.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	45214  

Old 09-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #10

Usuallsuspect- your box will probably be warmer than it should until you can find a way to replace the tube like Shellback1 did. It doesn't even need to be near anything warm, the warmer air just gets in the tube to the box. Make sure the loop is lower than the box outlet fitting and the open end (with screen) is lower still.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #11

I wouldn't remove the refr. In fact, I never do. Just unscrew/unbolt and slide it enough to get up in there. Vinyl tubing that will withstand the heat, or get the new Dometic tubing which is black and thicker.

Tags
dometic, replace, replacement