Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2018, 08:03 AM   #1

Dometic 1402 not staying cold enough

Hello all,
We have a dometic 1402 side by side in an 2006 Alfa See Ya Gold.

For some reason it's not staying cold enough. When traveling the temp rises in fridge to around 50°. Have plenty of LP. Been hooked up to 50 amp now for about 24 hrs and temp is now around 30°, that temp will rise as it heats up outside to around 40°. Food in freezer is semi frozen and have frost built up around ice maker area (we don't use the ice maker but do store ice in bin).

Never had this happen before!

Any suggestions as to why this is happening and how to fix it?

Thanks!
pelicanpen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2018, 08:31 AM   #2

Check around the base of the cooling unit chimney for any sign of a yellowish powder , you could have the very beginning of a cooling unit leak .
Also check for any restrictions in the venting , I had similar issues , when I installed a " universal " vent cap ; the new cap had to be raised 3/4" to provide proper air flow.

If no sign of a leak you can try a thermister adjustment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermistor placement.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	209166  
Old 07-01-2018, 09:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelicanpen1 View Post
Hello all,
We have a dometic 1402 side by side in an 2006 Alfa See Ya Gold.

For some reason it's not staying cold enough. When traveling the temp rises in fridge to around 50°. Have plenty of LP. Been hooked up to 50 amp now for about 24 hrs and temp is now around 30°, that temp will rise as it heats up outside to around 40°. Food in freezer is semi frozen and have frost built up around ice maker area (we don't use the ice maker but do store ice in bin).

Never had this happen before!

Any suggestions as to why this is happening and how to fix it?

Thanks!
I have a Dometic RM1350 and have been experiencing the same in very hot/Humid weather. Mine is in a slide and I put two high powered DC fans at the top compartment sitting over the fins to exhaust heat out. Made quite a bit of difference and I can now keep temps when sitting at campsite. I bought these -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mine works a bit better on LP than electric, so if I am having a problem on a particularly hot/humid day, I will switch over if I need to LP. Hopefully this helps you out!

While driving, that is a different story. No matter what I try I can't keep the fridge cool while driving. I have tried electric (running gen while driving) and LP and both don't work effectively. After 6 hours of driving it will be 50 degrees. I have resorted to using ice packs or dry ice when I am going to travel long distances in a day and purchased a Dometic CFX fridge I use for sensitive stuff. I would love to know if someone has a solve for that..

Mine is still under warranty and since it will reach temp sitting, Dometic and dealer say nothing is wrong.

John
Old 07-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #4

John...
Ordered that fan, but having hard time getting it to run.

How did you hook yours up?
Did it have 4 wires? Blue, yellow, green and black?
Assuming black is ground, what wires went where?

Thanks!
pelicanpen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhea View Post
I have a Dometic RM1350 and have been experiencing the same in very hot/Humid weather. Mine is in a slide and I put two high powered DC fans at the top compartment sitting over the fins to exhaust heat out.
John
RV fridge venting in a slide can be a big issue , it's important to check that the factory install is exactly as the fridge manufacturer has specified .
Many times the back clearances are way over the fridge specs and too much air can go up behind the cooling coils , without going through the coils.
If you don't have the installation guide for your model of fridge , visit the manufactures web site for a free pdf download.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	refrigerator-cooling-fan-venting-diagram-1.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	209964  
Old 07-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #6
YC1

Cracked drain tubes will cause the issue.

If the thing is mounted in a slide, remove the top vent and use a camera to look down inside if you can't see in there. There may be a fan or two up there not working due to the fans being dead or a thermocouple going bad.

If you find the vent tubes cracked locate the screws holding the fridge in place and slide it out a few inches and you can replace the cheap vent hoses with some decent clear hose from any hardware store.

Vent hoses will surprise you how warm they let the refer get.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Check around the base of the cooling unit chimney for any sign of a yellowish powder , you could have the very beginning of a cooling unit leak .
Also check for any restrictions in the venting , I had similar issues , when I installed a " universal " vent cap ; the new cap had to be raised 3/4" to provide proper air flow.

If no sign of a leak you can try a thermister adjustment.

Yellowish residue..cooling unit leak....NO COOLING

Moving thermistor on fin is only for fridges with 'Automatic Thermostat Control'----ie: fridges that do not have adjustable temp settings on upper display panel

OPs fridge has NUMEROUS controls
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #8

OP......

Are the freezer and food compartment fans working......if either do not run fridge temps will fluctuate

Starting on pg 18 is a 'service mode' test procedures.....you can 'test' the various functions/controls of your fridge
Go thru it step by step and verify fridge is fully operative

http://www.alpinecoachassociation.co...e%20manual.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic