Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #1

Dometic 2652 not heating... changed element.

Ok, so I've had a cooling issue with my Dometic 2652 2way refrigerator. It works fine on LP/12v but doesn't work on 120V and the element is fine. I've ohm the element and it checks out... turns out that I'm not getting 120V to the element. The 5amp fuse checks out okay as well... so my question is, what would be keep the element from getting 120V? I'm guessing a bad board...

I've bypassed the board by connecting the element directly to 120V and it will cool that way. Which leads to my other question... can i just let the element run 24/7 for a ~4day camping trip? What's the downside to letting it run 24/7 for 4 days or less?

Thanks
travis3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 01:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3030 View Post
Ok, so I've had a cooling issue with my Dometic 2652 2way refrigerator. It works fine on LP/12v but doesn't work on 120V and the element is fine. I've ohm the element and it checks out... turns out that I'm not getting 120V to the element. The 5amp fuse checks out okay as well... so my question is, what would be keep the element from getting 120V? I'm guessing a bad board...
Did you check that board is getting 120V AC----outlet fridge plugged into has 120V AC?????

You can check for AC on circuit board and out to element
J5 ----AC Line Voltage (black)
J6 ----AC Neutral Line (White)

J7 ----AC Neutral OUT to element
J8 ----AC Line OUT to element (switched side)

I've bypassed the board by connecting the element directly to 120V and it will cool that way. Which leads to my other question... can i just let the element run 24/7 for a ~4day camping trip? What's the downside to letting it run 24/7 for 4 days or less?

Bypassing 'circuit board' checks that cooling unit is functioning BUT removes ALL 'safety' features and 'temp controls'

No low amp fuse to blow (5A)..........but outlet is protected by a higher amp circuit breaker. Should element short higher amp draw (fire potential) would occur before CB tripped (15A).

Fridge will 'continuously' cool so food compartment temps will go before 32*F and items would freeze up because circuit board/thermistor/thermostat are bypassed.

Thanks
Other than concerns listed..........why not run it on propane with circuit board not bypassed ?

Here is 'service manual'..............pg 13 lower board
http://www.fourwh.com/NewDometicRefrigeratorManual.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:34 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply...

I'll elaborate a little on what I'm doing and why.

So, on the j5 connector where the 120v power is supplied, I've left it connected to the board so that the board still has 120v power and is still protected by the 5A fuse. On the j6 connector where the neutral for the 120v feed is typically connected, I connected one end of the 120v heating element. The other end of the 120v element I connected directly to the neutral of the 120v source. My logic for doing that is that the board still has 120v power, is still protected by the 5A fuse and the element has 120v power to operate the refrigerator on 120v. Using 120v power cost me nothing since it's included in the campsite price... vs LP which I can empty a tank in about 3 or 4 days.

My main question is, are there any issues with just letting the refrigerator element run constantly for about 4 days or so?
Old 07-06-2016, 06:42 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
There shouldn't be any problems ...

The Dometic control board does this when it senses a problem with the temperature sensor, it turns on the heating element and leaves it on.

I loved my old Dometic that didn't have a control board. I had to select 120 volts or propane manually, If I selected propane, it had a clicker/sparker to light the burner. No automatic, no control board.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:06 AM   #5

awesome... thanks for the feedback!
Old 07-06-2016, 10:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3030 View Post
Thanks for the reply...

I'll elaborate a little on what I'm doing and why.

So, on the j5 connector where the 120v power is supplied, I've left it connected to the board so that the board still has 120v power and is still protected by the 5A fuse. On the j6 connector where the neutral for the 120v feed is typically connected, I connected one end of the 120v heating element. The other end of the 120v element I connected directly to the neutral of the 120v source. My logic for doing that is that the board still has 120v power, is still protected by the 5A fuse and the element has 120v power to operate the refrigerator on 120v. Using 120v power cost me nothing since it's included in the campsite price... vs LP which I can empty a tank in about 3 or 4 days.

My main question is, are there any issues with just letting the refrigerator element run constantly for about 4 days or so?
As I stated...........
Fridge will 'continuously' cool so food compartment temps will go before 32*F and items would freeze up because circuit board/thermistor/thermostat are bypassed.

Where are you getting the 120V AC power to hot lead on element?

You stated :
On the j6 connector where the neutral for the 120v feed is typically connected, I connected one end of the 120v heating element. The other end of the 120v element I connected directly to the neutral of the 120v source.

IF one lead is connected directly to a 120V AC source (vs neutral as posted) then circuit board controls are bypassed cause the FUSE is on HOT not neutral leg.

And if J5 is HOT and J6 is good neutral.......have you checked whether J7 is a good neutral and J8 a good hot (when AC is selected/ON)???

LP.......empty in 3-4 days
Not from using the fridge on propane.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, element, heat, heating