Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2008, 12:53 PM   #1

I have a 2 zone T stat...fan speeds...low, high, auto....It's set up on auto to run on low unless the set point is at least 7 degrees from ambient temp...so I need to run it on high fan...that's ok until the set point is reached...then the fan only runs, undoing all the dehumidifying accomplished....Is there a fix to changing the fan to run on high all the way to the set point without coasting on low/??
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2008, 12:53 PM   #2

I have a 2 zone T stat...fan speeds...low, high, auto....It's set up on auto to run on low unless the set point is at least 7 degrees from ambient temp...so I need to run it on high fan...that's ok until the set point is reached...then the fan only runs, undoing all the dehumidifying accomplished....Is there a fix to changing the fan to run on high all the way to the set point without coasting on low/??
Old 06-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My similar system does what you require when run on auto. It will do the high speed,then slow when close to satisfying cooling, then off at the end of the compressor run cycle
Old 06-27-2008, 12:41 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Larry, a fix would be easy. Simply remove the slow speed fan conductor from the relay and add a jumper from relay to high speed connection. No matter if the control board calls for low or hi it can only run on high speed. Once the T'stat is satisfied it will shut down. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:48 AM   #5

thanks...and that will work the same on the heat pump side???
Old 06-29-2008, 12:03 PM   #6

Mike...I played with it today and the results were NOT good...I dont have a schematic except some wierd stuff on the CB cover...nothing showing fan wiring...I traced the wires from the fan to the board...I figgered it would be red and black...I disconnected one and cranked the gen and had low speed only...then put it back and disconnected the other...high speed only...good! The fan ran on high speed with the black wire connected...so I spliced the red (former low speed) into the black.
Tested again...the fan and compressor would run on high, but when the t stat was satisfied, the fan only cut off and compressor kept running..then I put it on fan only and after a short while smelled something hot and the fan shut down...went on the roof and found the fan motor blazing hot...sooooooo....put everything back and it seems to works again now that the fan cooled down...I obviously guessed wrong at how to do this..Do you know from this what I did wrong? I have a Dometic 15K heat pump....2006 vintage...
Old 06-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by footdoc:
the set point is reached...then the fan only runs, undoing all the dehumidifying accomplished....Is there a fix to changing the fan to run on high all the way to the set point without coasting on low/?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Checked out my 2 zone system and noticed compressor running even when the low speed kicks in. When system satisfies the thermostat, the compressor AND the low speed blower motor stop running. I think my system is running as it should.

Marty
Old 06-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #8

If you leave the fan on auto...yes...but on mine if it's set on low or high....the fan will continue to dance without its compressor partner!
Old 06-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

footdoc,
Can't you make the fan speed wiring changes at the thermostat rather then at the a/c en?. You want to change the speeds the t-stat is calling for on Auto, not what the a/c itself does when the signal arrives.

Is your t-stat the Atwood Comfort Control System or one of the other models? Some work differently than others.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:57 PM   #10

its a Duotherm by Dometic..and they say 'that's the way it is.....' but someone who knows more than me will be able to modify its operation, I'm sure....BUT that's not me...I'm quitting before I burn up something with no schematic
Old 06-29-2008, 05:13 PM   #11

Go to this download site, select your model# heat pump, and download the installation manual. It also contains complete instructions for the 2 zone thermostat.
We have the same setup,heat pumps and 2 zone thermostat with 3 fan settings; constant low fan, constant high fan,and auto fan which works as you describe.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:00 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Larry, you cannot run both speeds of the motor at the same time. You have to disconnect the low speed of the motor. Pull the red wire off the control board and tape it off. Make a jumper wire so you can now jump from that board location to the high speed (black) wire. Now when the controller wants to switch fan speeds it still feeds and only feeds the hi speed side of the motor. If this is not clear then do not attempt. I am sorry but you have already shortened the life of the motor by trying to make it run 2 speeds at once. Keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:20 AM   #13

Ooops I got it now....how badly do you think I hurt the motor?...no smoke but really hot before it shut down after about a minute..thanks for the info....I do understand now...
Old 06-30-2008, 04:02 AM   #14

thanks for the info Ray...