Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2016, 08:27 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Dometic Brisk II 15k BTU A/C - Which Thermostat and Control?

The old (1998 era) Dometic Duo-Therm A/C still runs, but the condenser has been beaten to death by hail. Yes, I've tried combing it with a good-quality comb. The fins are so smashed that they tear away from the coils. Enough of that nonsense.

I'm looking at a Dometic Brisk II 15,000 BTU Air Conditioner (B59516.XX1C0).

My confusion comes into play because the unit I have now has a Dometic 5-Button Comfort Control Center (3109228.001) thermostat. I don't know if this will work with the Brisk II, or if I need to order a newer Dometic Single Zone LCD Thermostat and Control Center (3313189.000).

For visual and product reference, searching Amazon using those part numbers will bring them up.

I've searched online, reviewed product data from Dometic's site, and I just can't figure out what I do or don't need to order so I have everything I need to succeed.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I plan to contact Dometic for a shopping list, but I'd like empirical input as well to backstop what I'm told by Dometic.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2016, 04:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If you do not change the lower section (ceiling assembly) you should not have to change the T'stat. Sounds like all you need to do is purchase the roof unit only. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:10 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Dometic's reply when I called today was "does your current thermostat and control box work?"

"Yes"

"Then you're good to go with the new Brisk II"
Old 07-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #4

Howdy, I am in the same boat you are and am about to order a Brisk II or perhaps a Penguin II to replace our old Dometic unit. How did the install end up working with your existing control board? I have a 5 button CCC thermostat and would really like to hear how everything functioned after you put everything together. Are you happy with the 15K Brisk II or would you recommend something else?

Thank you
Flight Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:14 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Test View Post
Howdy, I am in the same boat you are and am about to order a Brisk II or perhaps a Penguin II to replace our old Dometic unit. How did the install end up working with your existing control board? I have a 5 button CCC thermostat and would really like to hear how everything functioned after you put everything together. Are you happy with the 15K Brisk II or would you recommend something else?

Thank you
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:55 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
It worked perfectly with the existing controls right out of the box. Install was about 15 minutes. It's the lone A/C on top of a 32' class A in Texas, and it's actually succeeding at keeping everything around 70' when the unit is in direct sunlight on a 99F day.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Test View Post

Thank you
Greetings and welcome to IRV2. You may want to include some more info (make/model/year etc.) for a more answer to your question. In general, if you have a separate control unit and thermostat that matches the control unit, the Brisk II upper unit (compressor/fan/etc.) will directly replace your old Duotherm/Dometic ... and they work very well. Take extra care and time to replace all of the metallic tape in the air box ... the old tape will have lost its adhesive quality and leak air. You can get new air conditioner duct-work tape (not the same as Duct Tape) at Lowes/HD. It's in the heating/cooling aisle near plumbing. It is NOT in the paint department.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:33 PM   #8

I am humbled by such a warm welcome! Thank you!

I have been reading articles for years on IRV2 and really admire all the technical expertise that is out there.

The unit in question is a 2005 Dometic P/N 6003120331 which is an 11K unit on the back of a 38' 2005 Monaco Knight. The unit up front was replaced just before we bought it last year and is a 13,500 Penguin 2. The rear has gotten weaker and weaker and wont keep up with the Texas heat. The current set up is marginal in the Texas heat at best.

I bought a couple cans of Plasti Dip white spray-on removable rubber coating and sprayed over the two sky lights which helped lower the heat input into the coach significantly. In the winter I can just peal it right off.

I have a 15K Brisk II ordered from Brad's suggestion. Amazon had it for $604 delivered.

Thank you again for such a kind welcome.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #9

Thanks again for the help on this forum. The 15K Brisk 2 went in easy as possible and plugged right into the existing control board and worked perfectly with the existing CCC 5 button thermostat. The new unit also lined up with my existing plenum ski jump modification that was mentioned awhile ago in this forum. (This mod increased my airflow through the vents by about double). I also streamlined the floor of the AC plenum to make the transition to the dual duct tubes as aerodynamic as possible. While I had the unit apart I also changed the original mounting position of the control board box since it blocked about 50% of the air filter area. I was able to use one of the existing control box holes to mount it on its side. ( see pictures)

Although the old 11k unit was working, the new 15K makes a huge difference in the Texas heat. On an 85 degree morning the new unit was blowing air right above freezing!

Thanks again for all the tips! The Brisk 2 is a little quieter than the unit it replaced but it still has quite a bit of induction fan noise. I think I will try some sound absorbing foam To line the intake side. Has anyone had success in making the AC units quieter?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	514
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	133791  
Old 07-21-2016, 03:17 PM   #10

Sorry, for some reason I can only get one picture to attach per post.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	437
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	133792  
Old 07-21-2016, 03:21 PM   #11

You can see the Ski jump duct mod on the plenum. It diverts the air smoothly to each side of the ducting. You loose the air dump feature but the flow through the vents increases dramatically. Whe I first did it all kinds of stuff blew out of the ducts!

Thanks to IRV2 for the idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	357
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	133793  
Old 07-21-2016, 03:50 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Great ideas for airflow improvement. I had pondered the poor design myself. Now I'm thinking I might do the same things to mine to improve duct output (which is rather weak).
Old 07-22-2016, 10:04 PM   #13

The ski jump or tent vent as others call it made a huge difference in air flow. With the entire plenum off, just find where the center of the air column is exiting and put the peak of the divider right in the middle of it. That will split the flow equally between the left and right air ducts. I cut the ends of the sheet metal to fit right inside the tabs of the original vent dump opening. That secured it real nice. Prior to that I taped off the vent dump to make it quieter.

The flow through the vents improved a ton. It has been one of the best mods I have made to both ACs. When I first installed it all kinds of crud blew out of the vents! It improved that much.

Once you get the ski ramp installed spend time with your aluminum duct tape smoothing out the transition from the bottom of the plenum to the two duct openings.

It is a wonderful mod that costs almost nothing except some duct tape and some sheet metal I had in the shop.

Tags
dometic, thermostat