Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #1

Dometic Brisk II Air Conditioner 15,000 BTU

The primary purpose of an RV air condition is to produce cold air on hot days. Not cool air but cold air so that you can keep the coach/interior in the low 70's temp range. Well that is my feeling anyway. Here in Texas and across the south we have high summer temp in in the 100 degree range plus high humility so any AC has it's job cut out to accomplish low 70's temp. The choices for an RV AC are limited today primarily between Dometic and Coleman. Each with various models to choose from. The trend has been toward the low profile type units and both Dometic with the Penguin II and Coleman with its new Mach 8 have slick looking very low profile models to consider. But do they fit the criteria above in their 15,000 BTU units. I am replacing the two older Dometic Penguin AC's that came with my MH new in 2005. At 8 years old they still work but the overall cooling is marginal from the 13,500 BTU units even are cleaning and service. My first though was to go with the Dometic Penguin II 15,000 BTU model to stay in the same style as is on the MH now. But after discussions with others and my RV tech there is a feeling that the new Dometic Brisk II Air Conditioner would be a better choice to accomplish my thoughts on the primary purpose of an RV air conditioner as stated above. Its not low profile as such, but I am told it blows air as cold as ice. Any thoughts on the Dometic Brisk II 15,000 BTU especially from someone that has this unit. Also what AC units are the new/newer MH installing.

Products - Dometic

An update, I just noticed that the Dometic Brisk II is newer than I thought was was just introduced by Dometic. So threr may not be anyone actually using this unit although I do see it listed on sale at various online RV parts stores.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/6/prweb10844621.htm

Thanks
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #2

I just added a penguin II and find it noisy. I have heard this from others as well and that it is due to the higher efficiency (higher pressure) and different refrigerant which are being required. You might want to keep the old unit if it is still working. I doubt that newer units cool better. Btus are btus.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
The primary purpose of an RV air condition is to produce cold air on hot days. Not cool air but cold air so that you can keep the coach/interior in the low 70's temp range. Well that is my feeling anyway. Here in Texas and across the south we have high summer temp in in the 100 degree range plus high humility so any AC has it's job cut out to accomplish low 70's temp. The choices for an RV AC are limited today primarily between Dometic and Coleman. Each with various models to choose from. The trend has been toward the low profile type units and both Dometic with the Penguin II and Coleman with its new Mach 8 have slick looking very low profile models to consider. But do they fit the criteria above in their 15,000 BTU units. I am replacing the two older Dometic Penguin AC's that came with my MH new in 2005. At 8 years old they still work but the overall cooling is marginal from the 13,500 BTU units even are cleaning and service. My first though was to go with the Dometic Penguin II 15,000 BTU model to stay in the same style as is on the MH now. But after discussions with others and my RV tech there is a feeling that the new Dometic Brisk II Air Conditioner would be a better choice to accomplish my thoughts on the primary purpose of an RV air conditioner as stated above. Its not low profile as such, but I am told it blows air as cold as ice. Any thoughts on the Dometic Brisk II 15,000 BTU especially from someone that has this unit. Also what AC units are the new/newer MH installing.

Products - Dometic

An update, I just noticed that the Dometic Brisk II is newer than I thought was was just introduced by Dometic. So threr may not be anyone actually using this unit although I do see it listed on sale at various online RV parts stores.

Dometic Introduces the Brisk II Air Conditioner for RVs

Thanks
I have a newly installed Brisk Air II 13,500 and an 8 month old Penguin 13,500. Both units perform well but they aren't the 15,000 units you are interested in. I can tell you that the Brisk Air II cools much faster than the older version Duo-Therm. It is also quieter than my Penguin ... not exactly quiet but acceptable. My expectation is that no roof A/C will be quiet.

The reason I differentiated is that Dometic has used the terms Brisk Air II and Brisk II and I don't know if they are the same.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I prefer the Coleman line over the Dometic products. And do not buy an Advent.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry B View Post
I just added a penguin II and find it noisy. I have heard this from others as well and that it is due to the higher efficiency (higher pressure) and different refrigerant which are being required. You might want to keep the old unit if it is still working. I doubt that newer units cool better. Btus are btus.

I took the coach to the my local RV shop after I checked the temp differential between the intake and cool are from the vents. I had no temp differential in the two reading on the rear AC and the readings on the front unit was not much better. My RV shop has confirmed that the rear unit compressor is not working and that the front unit has problems also. So I am replacing both units. I have heard the same thing on the new Penguin II AC's running noisy due to the new refrigerant. In fact I saw on another forum where someone had recently installed 2 new Penguin II AC's and Dometic agreed to replace both with the new Brisk Air II at no cost due to this problem. Apparently the Brisk Air II units do not have a problem with the refrigerant. My local RV shop has recommended the Brisk Air II 15,000 BTU units and I hope to have these installed soon. I will follow up as this moves forward. Thanks for the responses and input.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic