Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2018, 05:22 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Of course the ultimate solution would be to go with a residential or new cooling unit and have looked at these solutions.
We were having issues with our Dometic and decided to replace it with a residential.

I found a same size unit at Menards Hardware, minor modifications to get it to fit (had to cut 1/4 inch off one side of the compartment frame trim.)

Residential Frig Replacement – 1999 Southwind 35S

I also installed a 1200 watt PSW inverter and modified the wiring so the invertyer could be used on any of the 110 volt circuits .

Pure Sine Wave inverter install – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2018, 06:23 AM   #16

I have a Dometic RML 8555 and have done many things to inprove its cooling and have gotten it now to perform reliably at 37degrees. I have studied the operation my having temperature sensors for inside fridge, freezer, condenser inlet, and outside air. However the fans cannot run continuously because the system must heat up to work. I added 3-120mm (74cfm) fans and a digital controller, https://www.amazon.com/bayite-Fahren...ure+controller, which I set to torn on at 135 degrees and turn off at 124 degrees. See this link, http://www.portablefridgesonline.com...y-fridges-work, for an explanation of the cooling process cycle, which requires heat, cooling, evaporation, and heating again. I think your new problem, assuming your refrigerator cooled before you added the fans, is your fans running is keeping the refrigerator from heating to the temp required to start the evaporative cooling phase. My thermistor was just installed clipped to one of my refrigerator fins so I moved it to the middle, next to the right wall of the first wire shelf. This made a noticable difference. I have a 5 bar choice of temp settings which always needed to be at 5. When I moved the thermistor I was able to move my setting to 3 bars. I've done many more things but adding reflectix insulation to fill the air space around my refrigerator cabinet and adding a cooling fans, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-Ref...-/181208057633, to the interior of the refrigerator have also made a huge difference. I run the internal cooling fan continually wen the refrigerator is on. It moves the air around helping to maintain a more consistent temperature throughout the space. I use this temp monitor for the refrigerator and freezer, https://www.thermoworks.com/RT8100. This thread is where I posted a lot of the details, https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ghlight=Thermo. It is very hard to trouble shoot these refrigerators without data. I use these digital thermometers, https://www.amazon.com/Zacro-Aquariu...rmometer&psc=1, so I can see my outside temp and condensor inlet. Now that my Bayite temp controller shows me the condensor inlet and I've confirmed that the Bayite is working, I am thinking of moving this extra thermometer to my condenser outlet so I have all the data points to monitor performance. I haven't camped in 100 degree weather yet so more monitoring is required to really dial in the performance. I do believe I will have to continue using my 2- frozen 54oz juice bottles in the refrigerator and plastic box of ice in freezer during 90+ weather. These absorption refrigerators still need help in extreme temps.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:23 AM   #17

You can fight this thing until you're blue in the face but it won't change a thing. I went down the same road you are going and finally had to accept defeat and bite the bullet with a residential fridge.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:39 AM   #18

I'm going with an Isotherm 219 (2 way). I think RV/Boat refrigerator manufacturers have designed for the bumps and rattles of driving. A lot of residential fridges fail because they can't take all that. Here is a great link, http://www.suremarineservice.com/Gal...ze-Comparison/, when considering what 2way might be a good replacement. I know Isotherm and Vitrifrigo uses Danfoss compressors. Ive also heard good things about Nova Kool, but the Isotherm 219 would fit a remodel of my refrigerator/microwave/convection oven cabinet better. If I get tired of chasing temps with my Dometic then I am doing a remodel and get rid of the crappie covection/microwave to replace them all with a larger fridge and small 900 watt microwave. I'm not a fan of convection oven part.

Tags
cooling, dometic, fridge