Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #1

Dometic Fridge won't come on!

I have a 2003 Damon Intruder with a two door Dometic Refrigerator. It has been working fine until recently. The control panel won't light up and it doesn't come on at all. It did this before when we were on vacation, but came back on. We are home now and it's doing it again. Could the late day sun shining on that side of the coach cause it to trigger the switch when it overheats (from trying to stay cool)? If so, where and how do you reset it? Or, does anyone have any suggestions. I've checked all the fuses, plugged a lamp into plug to make sure it had power (it did) but just can't figure it out. Help please!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2010, 03:09 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If you are not getting lights on inside then you probably do not have power. Since it did something similar before, look at the 12 volt wiring on the outside vent/access cover in a two wire white plastic terminal mounted on the floor on left side. Make sure they are tight and that you have 12 volts there. If you do not have 12 volts the fuse is probably blown. Find the fuse and replace it. Is you Intruder diesel or gas? Give us as much info as you can if you can't get it going.

06 Saturn Vue & 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 toads
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:47 AM   #3

Mike, I took the access panel off yesterday and located a 3 amp and 5 amp fuse. The little wires are still intact, however, on the 5 amp it has a gray band on one end and I believe a green band on the other. I don't know if that is normal, but I am going to replace both of them today. My coach is gas and no, there are no lights on the fridge anywhere. Everything else is working ok so I am hoping the fuses are the problem. Do you know what I'm talking about on the bands on the fuse? I have never seen one like this before, so I don't know if it is blown or not! My husband thinks this coach is jinxed so he doesn't like to fool with it! I have purchased all kinds of books trying to figure out where everything is on it (fuses, breakers, etc.) in order to keep everything working. It's really beautiful and I think it is wonderful! I love this website....it has helped tremendously!
Old 06-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #4

Dometic Fridge won't come on

Ok, back to the drawing board! I have replaced the two fuses (3 & 5) but that didn't help. Still no power. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 06-27-2010, 03:25 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Did you check the small junction block to be sure you had 12 volts feeding the refrigerator. You must start there. If you do not have it there then you need to go to where it is distributed (Fuse box) and check that circuit's fuse. If you do have power make certain that all connections to the board are good and tight. (remove and reinstall). If you get power to the board, the fuses are good and you get no output, then the board is defective and must be replaced.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:36 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a test meter? If not get one. A small digital volt meter will do. These devices can be very useful in an RV. Radio Shack can help you with this. You don't need an expensive one, just a decent one. Whether the fuse/s are blown or not, you need to physically see if you have 12-volts. You could have a loose connection somewhere else in the coach that feeds this 12-volts to the refrig.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #7

dometic refrigerator won't come on

Ok guys, in searching for loose connections, I found a small blue wire that comes out of a white thing in the upper left hand corner of where the fuses are. It looks like it is supposed to be slipped onto a connection, but can't figure out where it goes. I did buy a tester, now I'm trying to figure out how to use it. I think I may have bought a complicated one! My husband just looks at me and shakes his head!
Any advice on where the wire goes. Gonna try to find a picture of the wire diagram and put it back! Thanks again! Esther
Ok found out that the wire was a test point. Hey, could I have more than one GFI switch? I found one in the bathroom and it's fine. Thinking maybe there may be another GFI that I am missing.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I hope this helps you. In the refrigerator section, look at the symptom and then go to the section it designates. The section your interested in is, No operation, no panel lights. Your problem, if you checked everything else, refers you to section 5.8 and 5.9. Good luck!
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your problem is a lack of 12v power to the fridge - that's why the control panel doesn't light and no interior lights. You need to find and check the 12v power to the circuit board and the associated fuses on the board.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As Gary said you need 12v to power your control board for fridge.
It may not be a fuse blown thats the cause wiring from fuse on fuse panel may have a loose wire for that fuse location. By now 03 coach will have loose screw connections for wiring locations its best to tighten all screw wire terminations on fuse panels, transfer switch's and ground wire locations on chassis frame locations for fuse panels, batteries, Gen, Trans switch, fridge, furnace etc,etc.
Ground is just as important as your battery fuse locations.
Have you checked the 12v wiring block at base of fridge, access from outside lower vent, as Mike surggested?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #11

This doesn't help your power issue, but...

If you haven't already done so, check to see if your refrig has a recall against it. In checking my MH I found out there was one that includes the Dometic line for the year yours is.

Official Dometic Recall - DometicUSA

Input your model and serial number and it will tell you if you have a recall. Mine was a quick fix and done under warranty even though it was a 2004. The original owner was unaware of the recall, so not sure how well the information got out.
Phaetonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #12

dometic refrigerator won't come on

Ok, finally broke down and called a rv tech. He came out and found a little button between two connectors that needed to be pushed. That made the lights come on on the panel, but still no cooling. He had to leave on another call before we determined no cooling. I have lights on the panel and inside. I downloaded the manual ( which is an awesome tool to have) and am trying to go step by step and figure it out. Hopefully I won't need to call him back.
I called Dometic and this fridge is on the recall, but you can never get a real person on the line. The repairman today says he won't touch it because Dometic never reimburses them for the repairs!!! Gonna try to call early tomorrow and maybe I will be first in line. Very encouraged by having power back at least! You guys are great and I do appreciate all the help! Any suggestions are welcome!
Old 07-01-2010, 02:07 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The reset button the tech pushed is the high limit thermostat; that may or may not be part of the recall for your refrigerator. Is there a piece of sheet metal across the front of the burner area held by 4 screws on one side and bottom? If so the recall kit has been installed.
Now, you need to find out why the high limit thermostat had tripped. This may be causing the unit no to cool. Is there heat at the burner area or on the horizontal coils? if so, make sure the coach is level. If your refrigerator is not in a slide out you need to take the roof vent cap off so you can inspect for good venting. A piece of insulation may have fallen off a wall above the refrigerator and is now blocking air flow needed to dissipate the heat. If not, try operating in the gas mode. Be sure to look at the burner area when you start it up and that you get a flame and it is not a large, out of control flame, before letting it burn unattended for several hours. Check the freezer for cooling first, if it is starting to cool, give it 24 hours and check the fresh food section. It may be possible, the heating element burned out and in so doing, tripped the high limit thermostat.