Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2017, 03:43 PM   #1

Dometic Frig not working

I have a Dometic 1292 and it does not work on ac or lp. The control panel lights up, and says it is on, there is 13 volts to the control board, and 120 volts ac. The grounds all seem to be tight. I replaced the control board, and still nothing. I did not do a continuity test on the wires, but i am stuck on what could be wrong.
I took it out of storage and it started on propane, then quit. Started on AC then quit. Replaced the board, still nothing. HELP
Teblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2017, 04:20 PM   #2

If you have the overtemp recall mod installed (It is a small black box to the upper left of the outside compartment with two wires, you may have gotten water in the box or had severely low voltage that caused the box to lock out.

Here is how I reset mine when that happened.

Wait till everything is cold. Get the strongest magnet you have. (I used one my wife used to hold papers on the refrigerator at home.) Place it on the top right hand corner and hold it for a few seconds. You will hear a click. You are then good to go. Reset the controls and store you magnet on the side of the cabinet for use later.

It took me what seemed like a long time to get the click so be patient.

Hope this fixes your problem.

- Jerry
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:18 PM   #3

Thanks, but no over temp box.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:59 AM   #4

Well that is a bummer.

The only other thought I have is a bug or other pest could have built a nest in the chimney. If the chimney is blocked, that could cause it to shutdown on over temp.

Hope you find the problem soon.

- Jerry
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:02 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Is the perk tube getting hot? Thats the first thing I would check. Thats the vertical tube usually on right side that has the electric element or LP burner under. The top of the coils should be hot as well.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:47 PM   #6

No, it does not get hot. I have been searching, but have not found anything like this.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhotoWizard View Post
If you have the overtemp recall mod installed (It is a small black box to the upper left of the outside compartment with two wires, you may have gotten water in the box or had severely low voltage that caused the box to lock out.

Here is how I reset mine when that happened.

Wait till everything is cold. Get the strongest magnet you have. (I used one my wife used to hold papers on the refrigerator at home.) Place it on the top right hand corner and hold it for a few seconds. You will hear a click. You are then good to go. Reset the controls and store you magnet on the side of the cabinet for use later.

It took me what seemed like a long time to get the click so be patient.

Hope this fixes your problem.

- Jerry
Dometic doesn't use the 'Recall Box' ----that is Norcolds fix
Dometic installed flame shields on recall affected units and a new stack high temp cutout device to secure 12V DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
Is the perk tube getting hot? Thats the first thing I would check. Thats the vertical tube usually on right side that has the electric element or LP burner under. The top of the coils should be hot as well.

Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teblues View Post
No, it does not get hot. I have been searching, but have not found anything like this.
Do you get a propane flame.?
Does it stay in 'Auto' when you turn it on?

Auto setting ---connected to shore power....fridge ON is only way for electric heat elements to operate (2 used on 1292 and BOTH have to work in order to cool)
If no 120V AC...then it would swap to LP operation and if flame doesn't come on you would get an error (CHECK Light)

So.....does it stay on Auto when you turn it ON?
Do you get a CHECK light when using 'gas'

Perk tube/stack has to get hot if either electric of propane is being used.
Even when cooling unit is not working....stack gets hot just due to HEAT source(s)

Please answer
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:13 PM   #8

The control panel light shows which ever you have selected (AC or LP), The check light does not come on. There is both DC and AC to the board, but the LP nor the electric will start up.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:03 PM   #9
Community Moderator

i used to have a dometic 1292. it failed due to leakage of the ammonia. i ended up replacing it with a residential unit.

first, look at the bottom of the burner, located at your left hand side from the access door under the vertical heat shield. if you see yellowish residue in the area, it would be a perfect indicator of leaking. when there is no ammonia in the system, neither lp nor electric would work.

when my 1292 fridge was dead, it had worked just for 7 years. i believe whenever the fridge was working while coach was unlevel an irreversible damage would be made, until to the point the ammonia was leaked out and the fridge would do nothing.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:51 PM   #10

I cleaned out the burner area, but did not see any yellowish residue. Thanks for the tip, because that makes sense. It is going to the dealer tomorrow, and I will post what they find.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:02 PM   #11

The dealer my need this manual...
dometic-service-manual.pdf

Best of luck!
John
Old 03-24-2017, 08:33 AM   #12

John,

Thanks for the reference. Hopefully it is something simple I have missed. I dropped it off, and they were going to start working on it.

Again, Thanks for every ones help.

Ron
Old 03-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #13

I got the motorhome back from the dealer, and OF COURSE everything worked fine there. They checked everything on both the LP & Electric functions. It cooled on both, so I will just watch it and see what happens. It must have been the winter gremlins playing games.

Tags
dometic