Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Dometic frig problem (answer not found doing search)

I'm sure this has already happened to someone, but I can't find the answer.

I have a Dometic RM2820 frig in the rig. Until recently, it has been working fine. The other day, I turned it on to start cooling down using the electricity. The control panel lights came on, and all seemed to be working well. The next day when I checked it, I discovered it did not cool down, but all the lights were lit on the control panel as if everything was working. I checked the fuses, and none appeared blown, but I changed them anyway. After changing them, I could feel the "heater" getting warm, and assumed it must have had a blown fuse. Today I check the frig, and I have nothing again. The control panel lights are on, but the heater is not warm. I checked the fuse with an ohm meter, and it is not blown. Do the heaters go bad on these things ? Is there a way to trouble shoot the heater ? Eliminate the control board ? I'm at a loss here.

The propane side still works fine.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #2

Yes the heaters do go bad. You should be able to check them by turning off the refrigerator, and unplugging the 120v plug. Trace the heater wires from the flue to the control box. Then remove them one pair at a time if you have 2 heaters. If you have a volt/ohm meter, using the ohms scale test for continuity. If you don't have a meter, you can make up a adapter to be able to plug the heater into a 120 volt power source, You should be able to feel heat at the flue after just a few minutes. If the heater stays cold, it is bad.

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:23 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfbatonrg View Post
Yes the heaters do go bad. You should be able to check them by turning off the refrigerator, and unplugging the 120v plug. Trace the heater wires from the flue to the control box. Then remove them one pair at a time if you have 2 heaters. If you have a volt/ohm meter, using the ohms scale test for continuity. If you don't have a meter, you can make up a adapter to be able to plug the heater into a 120 volt power source, You should be able to feel heat at the flue after just a few minutes. If the heater stays cold, it is bad.

Jim
Thanks Jim !!

Any special type of adaptor needed to hook the heater to 120v ? I have an old estension cord I use for such projects. Just connect the cord to the heater leads and plug it into an outlet ? Or do I need some type of controller ?

Is there a way to check the circuit board ? I assume if I disconnect the heater leads, I should be able to put a volt meter on the terminals and get a 120v reading ? Or will that screw up the board ?
Old 04-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
No you are just checking to see if you get heat in the element area if you have two may need to let cool down to check second element.
Test heat elements
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Well, I'm going to assume I have a bad element. When I ohm'd out the element, my meter gave me "OL". When I checked the circuit board terminals to the heater, I got .23v and 0v (I only have 1 heater, so I assume the the 0v side is the element ground). The 5 amp fuse for the element control also showed .23v going across it.

Now I guess I just have to find the element.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Yes the element should be closed when checked. They unplug and slide out

There will be volt and wattage info stamped on it. Makes it easier to find the right one.

Got mine at a local RV dealer. Was cheaper than on line with shipping.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic