Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #1

Dometic furnace problems

Hello fellow Rv'ers. Hoping someone has had this issue cause CW is certainly no help, LOL, yah big surprise.

Ive got a 2019 Keystone Cougar 29 RLD. We are FT Rv'ers so getting my rig in the shop is very difficult for any warranty work.

We've had NO issues with our furnace since we got the Cougar. BUT, yesterday we needed the heat. The fan started like always, then the click and fire in the furnace lit for about 10 secs and then went off. I've looked into everything, gas/thermostat setting/breaker/15 amp fuse. All working fine. The manual suggested bleeding the gas lines by using the burners, and then try the furnace did that. The water heater works just fine, so no air in the gas lines.

I located the furnace under the fridge, but there's no reset or switch to turn off/on. I've tried changing temps on the thermostat and leaving the system on auto. occasionally the blower comes on, but not the fire.

The Dometic user /Installation manuals are not help, as I have no clue which modal number. Even you tube doesn't cover this.

Any suggestions or help are appreciated.
SLS5964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2019, 10:17 PM   #2

Sounds like the flame sensor (FS) is burnt out. When the system is working properly the FS thermocouple when heated sends a signal to hold the main gas valve open. If the FS is not functioning properly (not heated by the flame or burnt out) the safety circuit will shut the main gas valve.

The flame sensor is a piece of metal about 3-4” long, 3/16” diameter placed about 1/2” above the burner flame with two wires coming out the opposite end. A more or less a standard low $ item available at any Heating/A.C. repair shop, maybe HD/Lowe’s etc
Old 05-22-2019, 04:56 AM   #3

GM, I appreciate the response. I'll keep the suggestion in mind. My biggest problem is that Keystone put my furnace in a place, I can't even get at the guts of the furnace, LOL. It's under the fridge behind a panel, which is fine. BUT, then all the vent tubes are front and center. All I can see is the gas supply line and the wiring at the very back. I believe they installed it before they installed the fridge.

I'm mechanically inclined, so working on things isn't a prob. Just getting to it, LOL. Have you heard or seen situations like that. And there's no outside access.

thanks again for the suggestion,

steve
SLS5964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:41 PM   #4

That louvered panel under fridge is the furnace return air vent
It should be removable to allow furnace access

Spark electrode is used for generating a High Voltage spark to ignite flame AND is also used from flame proving detection
(Not a thermocouple)

DC is applied to gas valve while spark electrode if firing...for 6-8 seconds. Then if flame generated signal is not sensed by circuit board it shuts down DC to gas valve so raw fuel doesn't accumulate

What is furnace Model?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:52 AM   #5

Probably just a dirty flame sensor, not a bad one. Propane can leave a white residue on it and sometimes they are not installed well into the flame. So when they are clean they are close enough but when they get dirty they are not. Unfortunately, you have to put your hands and eyes on it to know. Its not as bad as you think. I would pull that cover off and look into pulling th whole box out. i'ts not that bad, then put it on a table and look at the burner area. Clean and adjust that flame sensor as needed. Make sure you have screens on the outside of the vents so nothing can get in it and make a little nest. That will stop them too.

There are diffent shapes. You can look on Amazon for rv furnace screen and pick the one that fits yours.

https://www.amazon.com/TOODOO-Flying...s%2C154&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Miady-Furnace...-1-spons&psc=1
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:03 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a Coleman and it is doing the same thing. Mine is weird though. It seems to work perfectly sometimes and other times it fails. There should be a vent on the outside for it somewhere with an access panel. Mine is right next to the hot water heater. Behind the panel I found a reset switch, and also found out after 3 tries it would go into a lockout mode. Then if I left it on it would try again after 30 minutes. Here is a picture of mine.

You can see the black switch to the left side that is my reset switch.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190330_144324184_HDR.jpeg
Views:	596
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	246954
Old 05-27-2019, 03:35 PM   #7

I had this same type of issue with my Atwood furnace, looks same as the picture in above post. I had a dirt in the sail switch. I removed the outside panel then removed 4 screws on blower motor to access the sail switch. I used a vacuum to clean this out and system ran fine after that.
CA Harts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:24 PM   #8

Update on the furnace

sorry , it's been a bit reposting about this issue, the internet where we were "SUCKED".

I went to a local RV dealership that is keystone certified, and finally got some answers, LOL. Actually had a tech take me out to another Cougar 29 RLD. I already knew about the access panel below my fridge, and had taken it off. that's how I knew "Nothing" is visible or accessible, LOL. He showed me that you have to remove the entire unit to get at the sensors and parts. it sits on a piece of 1/2 ply wood with two screws at the front. the you must remove the front 3 vent tubes and twist off the 3 on the side. And, then take off the gas line. then you can slide out the unit and do the work.

he wasn't very nice about keystone engineers regarding this, LOL.
Anyway, luckily it's not winter, and we are using a space heat if needed.

Appreciate all the helpful hints, but, it's not getting fixed right now, LOL.

Tags
ace, dometic, ems, furnace, problem, problems