Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #1

Dometic NDR 1292

Hi all, I have a dometic double door fridge, NDR 1292 in a 2001 Expedition by Fleetwood.
Problem, the freezer holds a temp of 32 degrees, even in this 95+ degree heat. The refrigerator only gets to high 40's 48 to 52. I have cleaned out the burner and flue, no problems there.
I have adjusted the thermistor on the fins, makes no difference, also makes no difference if on ac or gas.
Am I not seeing something, open to suggestions.
Thanks
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #2

BTW we are in Branson, at the Stage Coach RV Park, and it is HOT
Jim
Old 06-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
This is probably not the entire problem, but could certainly contribute depending on your install and previous experience with this fridge.

These fridges need the cooling coils to be kept cool as much as possible. Many times a mfgr will install a fridge where it doesn't get sufficient cooling/airflow. So the warmer it gets, the worse it cools. Slide installs make this worse.

When I bought my present MH, it would take a setting of #4 in cool weather and #5 in warmer weather just to keep things frozen (ice cream soft) and fridge items cool.

I put in four 12v fans at the roof vent sucking hot air out and a 100/120 degree thermoswitch just below them so they would only be run when necessary. This resulted in a setting of #1 in cool weather and #2 in hot weather. Temps are now -10 and +33 degrees, vs +5 and +40 degrees. I of course also try not to expose the fridge side of the coach to direct sunlight.

Again, just as info for you and perhaps others reading this thread.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
YC1

Is your drain tube in the proper position and in good shape? It needs a curve to hold water like a p trap to keep warm air out of the refer. Watching a recent video on the subject showed many folks move the drain tube to the lower part of their access panel and defeat the water trap in the tube.

Rear fans will help a lot as suggested. Simple computer fans you can buy at Staples or Office Depot or Radio Shack. When one of my fans quits the temps raise 10 degrees or more. My freezer runs at 0 and the refer will go to 33.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post

Rear fans will help a lot as suggested. Simple computer fans you can buy at Staples or Office Depot or Radio Shack. When one of my fans quits the temps raise 10 degrees or more. My freezer runs at 0 and the refer will go to 33.
Just a word on "rear" fans. Some recent models of Norcold, perhaps Dometics (that I'm personnally not aware of) has these. If they fail they can cause a cooling problem, just as YC1 says. However, those I am aware of, are only pointing to the coils in the mid section of the fridge. These do move the air around inside that area, but don't do much to expell hot air out of that area.

In a thread over a year ago, this was discussed in detail. After much experimentation by many, it was determined (by general consensence and test results), it was far better to install fans exausting hot air at the roof level, which pulls cooler air at the lower intake passed all the coils and exits out the roof. This is why I did what I did and why I support this. My results in my previous post do certainly support this and I highly recommend this for anyone (Norcold or Dometic) who have cooling problems in warmer weather.

I will say again, this only makes your fridge more efficient and run more cooler on the inside with lower fridge settings. It does not not correct other problems that you may have with normal fridge operations. If however your fridge is satisfactory in cool weather, but bad in hot weather, I would highly recommend doing this and only costs about $20.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #6

Thanks John and YC1, I will try both of these suggestions, leaning towards tossing out the dometic and going with a residential.
The vent tube on mine is y'd into another tube that exits to the bottom of the motorhome, no p trap.
Thanks again
Jim
Old 06-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
YC1

If you opt for a new refer do a search and you will find tons of information and pictures. Diplomat Don posted some great pictures of his recent change. My RV neighbor changed his out so I had first hand experience watching. They were amazed at how much more room they had for food and how quickly it cooled down. I can tell you for sure that my next one will be a residential based on the new electric ice chest we just bought. It cools quickly and recovers fast. Without the ice inside it holds a ton of stuff.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #8

I have only been rving one year so could someone tell me where to put the cooling fans. Mine is a Dometic unit. Under the unit? Confused.
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
I have only been rving one year so could someone tell me where to put the cooling fans. Mine is a Dometic unit. Under the unit? Confused.
If you are experiencing cooling problems in hot weather (exceptable in moderate temps), then you need to place fans at the roof level exausting heat out of the roof vent. Fans have been placed at the air intake to push the cooler air upwards. Fans have been placed mid ship to blow on the coils. Experiments by many on this forum have concluded that placing the fans at roof level sucking hot air out is the best way to increase fridge efficiency.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #10

Thank you very much I will give put them on when I get it back from alignment.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #11

Push-Pull Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
I put fans inside and outside of my Dometic NDR1292: Dometic fans.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
This is what I put just under the roof vent at roof level:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...-GUARDS/1.html

This was an easy install and fit my chimney very well. There was enough room on the long side for mounting and an inch or so extra on the ends. A few inches below the fans, I install this thermoswitch:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0026R...r=8-10&pi=SL75

Then wired to the switched 12v fridge circuit. This just assures the fans do not run when the fridge is turned off.

Previous to that I had installed one of these:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=251249584124

This keeps the refridgerator at a more even temp throughout and prevents ice and frost from forming on the cooling fins. All of the above has proven to be a killer combination. As previously stated, now I run the fridge on #1 or #2, as before it was #4 or #5.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #13

Hope this is not a stupid question, but - Do you mount the fan by accessing the frig chimney from the roof? Or is there access from the interior. I am assuming its a roof installation. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, it requires removing the roof vent. Since mine was original, plastic and showing signs of cracking and UV damage, I took this time to replace it.

Procedure: Remove caulk from vent exposing screws. Remove screws and any remaining caulk which prevent from lifting vent from roof. Clean up the contact area for the new vent if used and if necessary.

Drop two 14ga wires down the chimney to a point you can grab them from the bottom and pull enough out to connect later.

Back on top, check how the fans will fit in the chimney and how you will attach. Mount the thermal switch an inch or so below where you will put the fans. Cut the wire you will use for the positive, attach a female spade connector and attach to switch. Attach another length of wire to the other side of the switch and have it long enough to reach a foot or so outside the chimney. Now attach POS wire to POS wire on fan array. Do the same with NEG.

Go back down and wire into the 12v circuit. At this point you want to make sure the fridge is on the highest setting. At this point you can either wait for enough heat to build to turn the fans on. Or, if it's cool outside, you can use any heat source to force the thermal switch on.

Once assured all is working, mount the fans. Then use only Dicor self leveling caulk. Apply to roof where the vent will contact it and use enough where it will squeeze out when screwed down. Now cover all screws with the Dicor. Smooth out the squeezed out caulk to be sure of a good seal between roof and vent edge.

Tags
dometic