Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
dometic ndr1292 problem...h e l p ..

Ok people,,,,,, here is your chance to answer a question and earn yourself ten cents cash money....

I have a Pace Arrow 33 foot 2000 on a ford chassie. I have a NDR1292 double door refrigerator with an ice maker that I took lose because that cheap straw they used for a waterline finally busted.

Anyhow, here is my situation .

I had a problem with my ECM (motor computer) and I took the coach up to my mechanics and I knew it would be a little while till he got around to the work and ordered the part. With this in mind I TURNED OFF THE REFRIGATOR and taped the doors in a ''vented'' position to prevent stuff growing in the refer. (I took out all the stuff that would rot or go bad)

David kept the coach for almost three weeks and I decided to bring it home over the fourth and do some ''work'' on it. I backed it in and pluged it in and turned the refrigator on. I set it on electric and punched the temp up to five on the eyebrow. I wanted it to get cool to cool off the beer that I left in the thing.
IT NEVER GOT COOL, COLD or anything. I said shux.

Here is what I have tested...
one. Both the ac and the gas will heat the heck out of the ''boiler''. It gets so hot you can not touch the outside of the thing. I have said shux several times and drank a warm beer. I left it on AC all nite long and still no cool
two;.... After some reading here on the web I thought maybe it was the thermostat. I took the head section (the part that goes in the plastic thingie that goes over the fin in the chrisper box) and tested it for continuity. It passed electricity so I stuck it in a glass of ice water hopeing it would ''open'' when it got cold. NOPE. It is still in the icewater and it is still passing electricity.
Three... I have not hot wired the electric heaters in the boiler because I simply do not believe that they are my trouble. I will hot wire them tomorrow and put the thermostat head back on or I have read that if you undoo the thermostat that the unit will ''cool forever'' without stoping because it has no cut off

Anyhow, I am open for suggestions and I will pay ten cents for really good ideas, five cents for fairly good ideas and possible answers and nothing for drooling, spitting or pointing......

if you will include your phone number I would be glad to call you on my dime for information .
you can send that to me in a PM if you like

God bless our troops .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Its not worth 10 cents but you will get more responses in the rv systems and appliances forum. Maybe 2 cents. Good luck with your problem.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Seajay, if you seriously have a problem you should ask a mod to move this to the appliance group.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like the cooling unit died. If the boiler gets hot, it's not a thermistor or much of anything else that usually fails. The ammonia solution isn't circulating as it should and that is just heat and gravity at work.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:01 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
i agree about the bad cooling unit thingie .... I am putting the acid test on it now.. I have hot wired the 120 volt heating units and have the thermost off now and if it is going to work ... It will cool. If it dont cool like this the coil is shot .... Now all i got to do is figure out if I want a ''rebuilt one'' or a brand new one for about twice the price of the rebuilt one. The new one is nine hundred with 200 shipping and the ''rebuilt one'' is about 400 plus shipping..... I am considering the rebuilt one because the coach is a 2000 modle and I am a 71 year old modle ......
what would you do??????

God bless our troops ....
Old 07-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #6

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'd go with rebuilding it since its cheaper and you don't know what you'll run into with a new unit. No charge for this answer- it's Sunday after all and I'm waiting on an answer myself
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #7

If your going to replace the cooling unit , some have replaced them with Amish made units even though the ones I've read about have been norcold replacements I'm sure they have them for domectic. Here's a website that might help. www.rvcoolingunit.com or do a search on this webb site as there are videos by some members who have replaced theres.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
i agree about the bad cooling unit thingie .... I am putting the acid test on it now.. I have hot wired the 120 volt heating units and have the thermost off now and if it is going to work ... It will cool. If it dont cool like this the coil is shot .... Now all i got to do is figure out if I want a ''rebuilt one'' or a brand new one for about twice the price of the rebuilt one. The new one is nine hundred with 200 shipping and the ''rebuilt one'' is about 400 plus shipping..... I am considering the rebuilt one because the coach is a 2000 modle and I am a 71 year old modle ......
what would you do??????

God bless our troops ....
Seajay, Being a veteran myself (flyboy) I follow all your great stories. I'm also glad Willa is doing well.

If your a "Do It Your Selfer" rebuilding your refer with the Amish Cooling Unit is a great way to go. If not I found that my local RV Repair Shop would do the replacement for around $500 labor.

Here's a video I made when I did my conversion. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

Sammie
YouTube - ‪Norcold 1200 to Amish Cooling Unit Conversion.mpg‬‏
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:50 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I talked to the owner of the business about a ''New Unit'' to go in my Dometic and he told me that he could ship me one in about two days. I am going ahead with getting a fan to go on top of the cooling unit and a new ''thermostat'' tube just to be sure. He is a very nice guy and he is ready to answer any questions i seem to have ....... While I am waiting I will photograph and rip out the old one. I have watched several videos on replacing the unit (coil) and it seems pretty straight forward. time will tell I guess......
Tks for the good thoughts about my Willa. I have taken upon myself to personally give her and ''inspection'' at least three times a week with soft candle light, nice wine and ''insperation'' for same. (its a dirty filthey job but someone has to do it.)........
Anyhow.... I will keep you posted as to my progress or lack of same and I am gonna take a lot of pix because I am old and forget stuff....

God bless our troops and keep them safe .....
Old 07-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I talked to the owner of the business about a ''New Unit'' to go in my Dometic and he told me that he could ship me one in about two days. I am going ahead with getting a fan to go on top of the cooling unit and a new ''thermostat'' tube just to be sure. He is a very nice guy and he is ready to answer any questions i seem to have ....... While I am waiting I will photograph and rip out the old one. I have watched several videos on replacing the unit (coil) and it seems pretty straight forward. time will tell I guess......
Tks for the good thoughts about my Willa. I have taken upon myself to personally give her and ''inspection'' at least three times a week with soft candle light, nice wine and ''insperation'' for same. (its a dirty filthey job but someone has to do it.)........
Anyhow.... I will keep you posted as to my progress or lack of same and I am gonna take a lot of pix because I am old and forget stuff....

God bless our troops and keep them safe .....
Seajay, If I lived closer to you, I would be moe than happy to help you and would gladly take you up on that "Dime" for my trouble. I start every project I do anymore with my trusty camera in hand. It's my birthday today and I just wish I could remember if I'm supposed blow on the candels or drool on the cake.

Sammie
Old 07-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sammy, you reminde me of ME when it comes to money.
Many thanks for the good thought but I got My Willa to hold the light and sweep up and do the simple stuff.
I got it all labled and photoed and I found all the tie down screws and I have it slid out about four inches now.
Today I will slide it out on to a thick rug and rip off the cooling unit so I will be ready for the new one when it comes in in a couple of days.
Ill give you a complete up date when I get the new unit installed on the back of the refer.

Tks again bro. Be safe on the road ...... Im going to the national rally...... are you?

Lets all buy a beer for a vet........
Old 07-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Sammy, you reminde me of ME when it comes to money.
Many thanks for the good thought but I got My Willa to hold the light and sweep up and do the simple stuff.
I got it all labled and photoed and I found all the tie down screws and I have it slid out about four inches now.
Today I will slide it out on to a thick rug and rip off the cooling unit so I will be ready for the new one when it comes in in a couple of days.
Ill give you a complete up date when I get the new unit installed on the back of the refer.

Tks again bro. Be safe on the road ...... Im going to the national rally...... are you?

Lets all buy a beer for a vet........
Seajay, just make sure your water drain hose that comes from the inside drip tray doesn't get pinched when you install the new cooling unit. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Sammie

Tags
dometic