Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2008, 03:35 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
On this refrigerator, Dometic NDR1292, it only takes about 4 or 5 weeks and the ice build up is unbelievable. I'm wondering if this is a common problem and do others have this same problem?

Granted we are in south Texas during the winter and the humidity is high from time to time, but not always that bad.

I'm wondering if there's any tricks I can do, or am I just stuck with the problem?
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2008, 03:35 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
On this refrigerator, Dometic NDR1292, it only takes about 4 or 5 weeks and the ice build up is unbelievable. I'm wondering if this is a common problem and do others have this same problem?

Granted we are in south Texas during the winter and the humidity is high from time to time, but not always that bad.

I'm wondering if there's any tricks I can do, or am I just stuck with the problem?
Old 12-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bob, I am not an expert on this subject.I suppose you are speaking about ice on the cooling fins in the refrigerator section. Depending on where the temperature sensor is located on the fins, you can move it to adjust the temp. I'm sure someone with more experience will also tune in.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:30 PM   #4

Commercial Member

Bob

We have a Dometic NDR1282. Our refer would need to be defrosted every 2 or 3 weeks. We had the unit checked out by a Dometic technician at FMCA a year or so ago. He found that the unit was working as designed. He checked the door gaskets and could find nothing wrong. He said that the ice build up is typical. He did suggest that we leave some space in the back. Do not push things right up against the fins. Allow some room for air circulation.

We tested out the battery-operated fans that go inside to keep the air moving. They did not help.

We tried turning temperature up. We run on the lowest setting (#1). After some checking we determined that the refer was cold enough inside. Top shelf is the warmest, 2nd from top coldest, 3rd not as cold as 2, 4th not as cold as 3, bottom drawers not as cold as 4. NO MORE ICE in refer. Freezer still ices up badly. Check it out… your mileage may vary. Humidity did not seem to be a factor. When it is real hot outside, we lower tempature to #2.

- Roger Berke -
2000 Foretravel U320 42ft
Roger Berke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:54 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Roger... when your setting is at #1 or #2 have you checked to see what temperature this maintains in the refer?

Maybe we're keeping ours too cold. We typically run ours on #3 unless it gets really hot out and then its on #4.

This usually keeps the temperature in the 38 to 41 range.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #6

Commercial Member

It has been awhile, however it went something like this:
Top shelf 45 degrees
2nd from top 36 degrees
3rd from top 37 degrees
4th from top 40 degrees
Bottom (drawers 45 degrees)

The way I checked is I would measure temperature of an item on that shelf after the door being closed all night long. We just adjusted where we stored stuff in the refer. Beer goes on the coldest shelf!

- Roger Berke -
2000 Foretravel U320 42ft
Roger Berke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:13 AM   #7

NDR1292 Ice in Fridge

Hi Bob,

FYI, we full timed in our MH for 3 years & had/have am NDR1292. And yes, we noted a lot of ice buildup in the fridge. Like you, more often than not we had ours set on #3. I found that I could monitor the ice buildup in the fridge & evry few days when I saw it building up, I could set the fridge down to #1, usually for several hours or overnight, and the ice would melt. Then when I noted there was no ice I'd turn the control back up to #3. Got so good at this that I never defrosted the fridge any other way. Now the freezer was anothe animal -- every couple months I'd shut the fridge off, boil water, put pans in the freezer & defrost it -- what a pain.

Hope this helps,

Bob M
2001 36' Rexhall Rose Air
1990 Red MX-5
n8xwb is offline   Reply With Quote