Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2010, 07:41 AM   #1

Dometic Refer

I have a 2 way fridge/freezer that is close to completely not working. It does not work in Auto (120V) and works intermittently in Gas mode. It doesn't even sense that the 120V is present when its available. I did a little research on the webs and found that a Dinosaur Micro P711 module may be needed. Can anyone verify this?

Fridge:
Dometic # RM 2611, Gas/Electric 2 way

Thanks in advance
Rob
4point is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Have you checked the obvious, like making sure there is 120v power on the receptacle the fridge is plugged into? Can't sense 120v if it's not there...

Intermittent gas mode operation could be many things. Would need to hear more about the symptoms before concluding that a board replacement is needed. That's about the last thing to do. Does it light? Run a few seconds and go out? If it does light and run, does the fridge cool ok?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #3

I have checked and verified voltage, the trailer is level. It will run in gas mode anywhere from a couple minutes to a couple hours. It does get cold and the freezer does freeze. The "Check" light always comes on when it quits. I have the unit set to "Auto" and have only seen it sense 120V once for a few seconds and go out. It only did that once in all my attempts to get it going. "Auto" and "Gas" are my only two settings avilable on this unit.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi 4point,
How about trying some cheap and easy fixes first? Take the cover off the control board and remove and reinstall all the connections. Make sure there is a good connection and no corrosion. Take a look at all the fuses. There may be more than one on the control board. Even if the fuses check out good replace them (another long story). Make sure the fuse holder is free from corrosion. Let us know what you find.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #5

Thanks Gary, yes I did all that yesterday. I have the day off today so I'm trying to get to the bottom of this issue. I'm using an Fluke 87IIITRMS meter to do all electrical checks.
I just checked:
1. Ran electronic diagnostic check on the upper controls board. It checks out good.
2. The 120V Heating element reads closed. Supposed to read 48ohms.
3. Did not check the thermistor because of not knowing how to remove it.
4. Gas solenoid valve works great. Opens and closes when called for.
5. Igniter work great. Lights flame every time.
6. AC voltage is present on terms J5 and J6. (line in)
7. AC voltage is NOT present on terms J7 and J8. (120V Heater)
8. All fuses are new and good.
9. Thermocouple reads 16-19mv. Spec is 25-35mv. Could be the cause of poor gas operation.
10. Burner has been cleaned and is good.
11. Orifice has been cleaned and is good.
12. Flue has been cleaned and is good.
13. Ventilation is good and unobstructed.

All thoughts on this are welcome..........
Old 05-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi 4point,
If I were you, the control board is next for replacement. Darn good diagnostics. Are you an engineer (I'm a retired one)?

Before replacing the thermo couple, recheck the 12 VDC power. Make sure it is 12.5 VDC or higher. If this is true, the thermo couple is on the block for replacement.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi 4point,
If I were you, the control board is next for replacement. Darn good diagnostics. Are you an engineer (I'm a retired one)?

Before replacing the thermo couple, recheck the 12 VDC power. Make sure it is 12.5 VDC or higher. If this is true, the thermo couple is on the block for replacement.
Thanks again Gary! DC voltage is good. Its all been charging for several days and is still plugged in.

No, no engineer here. Just an old electrician with mad troubleshooting skills.

Thanks for the direction.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #8

Dometic

1. Ran electronic diagnostic check on the upper controls board. It checks out good.
2. The 120V Heating element reads closed. Supposed to read 48ohms.

48ohms is correct for your model you need to replace the element.

3. Did not check the thermistor because of not knowing how to remove it.

Disconnect the thermistor harness from the P2, 2-pin terminal on the lower circuit board. Place the thermistor in a glass of ice water, approximately 33°F to 35°F. Wait 2 to 3 minutes. You should get a reading of approximately 7,000 to 10,000 ohms.

4. Gas solenoid valve works great. Opens and closes when called for.
5. Igniter work great. Lights flame every time.
6. AC voltage is present on terms J5 and J6. (line in)
7. AC voltage is NOT present on terms J7 and J8. (120V Heater)

No voltage at the heating element connection terminals J7 and J8 on the circuit board. If no voltage is present, check the 5 amp AC and 3 amp DC fuses. The 3 amp DC fuse is designed to protect the circuit board from internal shorts. The 5 amp AC fuse is designed to protect the integrity of the AC heater circuit from shorts.

8. All fuses are new and good.
9. Thermocouple reads 16-19mv. Spec is 25-35mv. Could be the cause of poor gas operation.

The thermocouple should produce 25 to 35 millivolts when connected to the lower circuit board. Any reading below 18 millivolts could cause erratic gas operation.

10. Burner has been cleaned and is good.
11. Orifice has been cleaned and is good.
12. Flue has been cleaned and is good.
13. Ventilation is good and unobstructed.

I would replace the element and the thermocouple before considering changing the board.

Rob
Robs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #9

Hi all! I installed a new thermocouple at a new Dino Micro lower board and the refer has been performing well...............

Thanks again Gary!