Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2007, 02:37 PM   #15

I talked with my repair co on the19th. They haven't even been able to get any kits yet.
At a major chain ˆ was talking with a salesman and he said that he didn't tell me this but when he worked for another company all the servicemen prefered a Norcold unit.This co. just started listing Norcold in their catalog, previously it was just Dometic.
Guewss what I will buy if my Dometic goes South?
Richard M. Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
We have one of the Dometic units on the recall list. The bad news is that we went out this morning to hitch up and head for Austin and found the fridge and freezer warm and everything in it ruined. The good news is that it was running on 120VAC and the 5th wheel didn't burn.

I tried running it on propane, but still no cooling - apparently it has lost its charge. We have an appointment with our selling dealer to bring the 5th wheel in on May 8th. It'll be interesting to see what Dometic does about replacing the cooling unit at no charge if it's cracked.

Our previous 5th wheel had a Norcold. The cooling unit on it failed 3 months after we took delivery on the 5th wheel immediately after it was received from the manufacturer. So, based on our experience, switching to Norcold isn't a "silver bullet" solution, either.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #17

Talked with the repair guy today. He said they would have the kits next week.
Due to my schedule we won't get fixed till May 25th
Richard M. Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:56 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by RustyJC:
We have one of the Dometic units on the recall list.
After more review, it appears that our serial number (405XXXXX) is higher than those listed for recall. This would indicate that, pending final diagnosis, the newer Dometic fridges may still have the problem. We'll see.....

Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:35 AM   #19

Quote:
The good news is that it was running on 120VAC and the 5th wheel didn't burn.
RUSTY: The irony of the situation is that Dometic has apparently concluded the unit's failure is due to their use of a higher wattage ELECTRICAL element in the recalled units. So, while it is operation on GAS that creates the fire hazard, the refrigerant leak and potential for fire was actually created by electricity.

Sorry you lost your food! ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:36 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
After almost 2.5 weeks (that's another subject, I guess ), my selling dealer has determined that the cooling unit is indeed bad. At this point, paper is flying back and forth between the dealer and Dometic, so we'll see what happens. Based on my "statistically insignificant" experience of 1 refrigerator , it looks like Dometic fridges newer than those covered by the recall may not be bulletproof, either.

Rusty
Old 05-30-2007, 07:27 AM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Just to update our situation, the cooling unit in our fridge was indeed defective. Even though it was newer than the recalled models, Dometic replaced it at no charge, and we picked up the RV on May 23rd. It worked OK over the Memorial Day weekend.

Rusty
Old 06-25-2007, 02:25 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
You are lucky!

Both of my trailers are in the recall, o happy days. Have an appointment for the Warrior the 3rd of July and worry about the Terry Later. Figure I stand a good chance of having to replace both of them at my expense as neither are in warranty.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:37 AM   #23

I have an RM3663 which has been recalled and I had to replace the cooling unit in 2005 because it leaked. I guess I'm lucky I didn't have a fire but I am looking forward to being reimbursed for that expense. Dometic is mailing me a form to fill out.

Has anyone been reimbursed for a cooling unit?

I am also having a hard time finding a repair facility within a reasonable distance to do the recall repair. The closest place is over 100 miles away and they say they are backed up for 6 weeks.
Last but not least, the rebuilt cooling unit I put in in 2005 went bad in 2006 and, based on what I know now, I am pretty sure it was because I was running it on AC as I crossed the desert (110 degrees) with the generator going and the overhead AC unit going.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you tried a Mobil RV Tech in your area they have been doing recalls.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:00 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Doggie:
I have an RM3663 which has been recalled and I had to replace the cooling unit in 2005 because it leaked. I guess I'm lucky I didn't have a fire but I am looking forward to being reimbursed for that expense. Dometic is mailing me a form to fill out.

Has anyone been reimbursed for a cooling unit?

I am also having a hard time finding a repair facility within a reasonable distance to do the recall repair. The closest place is over 100 miles away and they say they are backed up for 6 weeks.
Last but not least, the rebuilt cooling unit I put in in 2005 went bad in 2006 and, based on what I know now, I am pretty sure it was because I was running it on AC as I crossed the desert (110 degrees) with the generator going and the overhead AC unit going.
I have done work for Dometic in the past and still curently do, and in my experiences, as long as you follow their instructions, they will take good care of you.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a NDR1292 model Dometic refer. that number does not appear on the recall list.

However the serial number of my unit does. (23100049)

I find the wording in the recall letter somewhat ambiguous.
Does anyone know if BOTH SN AND MN must match to be included in the recall?

Marty
Old 01-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Yes, both numbers have to be on the list. The model number of the Fridge, and the serial number in question. This has been my experience in dealing with them in the past. They are very specific. But if you still have a concern, just give them a call. They are helpfull, just be prepared to wait on hold a bit. We always have to as well.

For anyone else who needs to double check here is a link to their site to check it. Dometic Recall

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:16 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks,
Glad not to have had a match!