Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2009, 06:57 AM   #1

Dometic refrigerator question

I have just purchased a used 1999 motorhome with a Dometic model 2852 refrigerator ; there is no way to set the temperature in the refrigerator, the instructions say that the temperature is set at the factury. I have checked the temperature in the refrigerator and it checks to be approx 40 degrees in the middle shelf. In my other motorhome (that I sold) I could set the temperature, this one I can't (there is no temperature adjustment).
My question? if the factory can set the temperature, there must be an adjustment somewhere; I like my frigerator to be set at between 35 and 38 degrees. to me this one is a little high.
Does anyone know where this adjustment is?
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Commercial Member

If your refrigerator does not have a temperature adjust6ment on the front panel, it is preset without an adjustment. There is a thermistor on the refrigerator cooling fins, to detect the temperature. I do not know of any adjustable thermistor. You might be able to add a resistor, about 100,000 to 200,000 ohms, across the (parallel circuit) thermistor wires, and fool the board into thinking it is warmer than it is to provide lower temperatures. You may need to play with different values to obtain the preferred temperature.
RV Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If there is a thermistor attached to a cooling fin inside the fridge, try moving it up or down a little on the fin.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:50 PM   #4

Like Gary said, move the thermistor up to cool more, down to cool less. If your frig is still too warm move the thermistor one fin left and begin again.

edit: note- the thermistor or capillary tube should not touch the fins.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #5

Try the following link for a service tips manual for your fridge. http://www.bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/1252service.pdf This is a pdf file. I found it on the Bryant RV site under "service manuals". As long as you know the model number of your fridge you should be able to find the manual there. Hope this helps.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look in the back, at the fins, You should see a white plastic clip with a wire going to it.... Slide it toward the top of the fin and see what happens to the temps

Or slide it down

The device in the clip is a temp sensor (Thermistor more than likely)

and the top of the fin is warmer than the bottom

So sliding it UP lowers the temp, and sliding it DOWN raises the temp, inside the 'fridge

Also you might add a fan, I use a computer type fan (12v) hooked to the light circuit