RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #1

Our refrigerator has stopped working and we are leaving Saint Louis in the morning from Saint louis for Kansas City.
It is a Dometic RM 2652 and seems to have stopped cooling completly. We were a little unlevel the night before in a State Park.

Any idea on who to work on it?
Our unit is an 05 and you might know this would happen on our first 5 week vacation.
Know what? We bought an ice chest and will not let this spoil our trip.
Going to Yellowstone then to Salt Lake City and work our way back to SC with many stops in between.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #2

Our refrigerator has stopped working and we are leaving Saint Louis in the morning from Saint louis for Kansas City.
It is a Dometic RM 2652 and seems to have stopped cooling completly. We were a little unlevel the night before in a State Park.

Our unit is an 05 and you might know this would happen on our first 5 week vacation.
Going to Yellowstone then to Salt Lake City and work our way back to SC with many stops in between.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:13 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Turn the unit off for an hour and then back on and either be traveling or level if you stop for more than an hour. I is very important that the refigerator not be operated in an unlevel condition. If you continue to do so you will kill it. Hopefully it just has a vapor lock and by travelingit will get a burp. Good luck and keep us posted. Enjoy your trip.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:52 AM   #4
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by E Z Livin:

Going to Yellowstone then to Salt Lake City and work our way back to SC with many stops in between. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This dealership is on I-70 just east of Kansas City, Mo. There is also a campground right next door if needed. I've included a link to their website if you would like to contact them. Let me know if you need any further help on finding a RV repair place as their are others.
TrailSide RV
Old 08-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #5

JC2, can you believe that I am sitting where you suggest but just read your message. I also have a call in for another repair company in the area. Thanks for the input

RV wizzard, I tried to burb as you suggested but I have it checked (really hope tomorrow) and see what is what. Had my fingers crossed all day but think I messed it up the other nigtht when we were not quite level. If I havee th to buy a fridge after 3 1/4 years, it will not be the same brand. Thanks again and I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:13 PM   #6

With three years five months on our Dometic, it had an interal failure with the amonia eating its way and causing a failure.

We had a NORCOLD installed today ($1648) with tax and hope it last better than the Dometic.

Tomorrow we will restart our vacation. Thanks for the guidance.

Ouch, ouch.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #7

We feel your pain. We just returned from a 4 week trip in the northwest, and noticed a very bad amonia smell the first week in. We thought it was our holding tank, but found out later that is an indication of a bad cooling unit. We ended up in Bend, Oregon at Jerry's RV. We had an extended warranty, and they wanted to put in a rebuilt cooling unit (the ext. warranty people) but we said no, we wanted a new one. This meant that an inspector had to come out, the cooling unit had to be ordered, etc., etc. It took 3 days, was a huge hassle, but we got the new cooling unit and it was covered ($1200) except the $50 deductible. Huge kudos to Jim Snavely at Jerry's RV in Bend. If you ever have any RV issues that are not engine/chassis stuff, these guys are great. They let us camp on their lot, offerred us power, let us cook all our thawing meat and store it in their frig--they bent over backwards to give us great customer service. We would go there again anytime. The frig works great now, but we did live out of several ice chests for a few days!