Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #1

Dometic RM 1350 frig

We have 010 Bounder 35H with Dometic RM 1350 frig will not cool and smells of ammonia. Are thinking about replacing the cooling unit ourselves. What is the degree of difficulty and any thoughts on where to buy the unit? Appreciate all replies. Thanks
BarbandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2014, 11:41 AM   #2

Barbandbob... If by stating that you want to pull the sealed system components off your Dometic and put new parts on it...that is a bit difficult and when you pull the frig out and sit it on the living space floor you will most likely want to have "how do I get a used or new unit to put in the place" information (at least I would). If my sealed system went I would need to replace it by pulling frig....removing windshield (passenger side) ....have old frig removed via window and new frig handed in via window...then reinstall and hook to gas and electrical. I buy used items for my rig when possible.... Visone RV, RV Salvage Parts, Motorhome Repairable Wrecks, Used RV Parts Monaco, Prevost, Allegro, Holiday Rambler, Alfa, RV Junk Yard - Dismantler | en.visonerv.com is just one RV junk yard
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:27 PM   #3

Bob, I just put a new cooling unit in my Dometic 2852(top freezer model)...if you can work with tools...it is a no brainer.

Worst part of my replacement was lifting fridge in and out of it's hole.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:49 AM   #4

A cooling unit failure at 4 yrs old is indeed quite rare..... are you sure the cooling unit has failed? Did you have a tech inspect it? The refrig opening should be inspected to ensure the baffling and ventilation is correct for your unit. The control circuitry should also be inspected.

It is entirely possible something else has caused the unit to fail - simply replacing the cooling unit may result in the same failure happening again.

If it has failed and everything else mentioned above is ok and you want to try it yourself there are several videos on youtube to guide you along the way - Dometic or Norcold the procedure is essentially the same. Removing the unit and getting it to the floor and re-installing it is the easy part - The hardest part of the process is separating the cooling unit and properly installing the new one, and of course sealing it up well.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:50 AM   #5

94.. They have reported that the frig fails to cool and there was a smell of ammonia.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic